1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about waves

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    I'm doing A-level OCR physic exam and i'm very confused on what is the difference between "first bright fringe","first dark fringe" "2nd bright fringe" "Maxima", "Minima", "Maximum", "Minimum", "Destructive interference", "Constructive interference".
    I always think that:
    First bright fringe = Maxima = Maximum = Constructive interference. and
    First Dark fringe = Minima = Minimum = Destructive interference.
    Is this right? And in the exam which one should i talk about because every time the answer is different.

Also what is Resonance? #
    And what is energy levels?
    Please my exam is soon, so please try to be quick,
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2
    I believe maxima is just the plural for maximum, and the same goes for minima and minimum.

I'm not sure what OCR is, but the fringes that you get are going to be from diffraction patterns in light, either through a slit or some kind of diffraction grating.

Resonance, when talking about standing waves or music, is when you have an integer number of half wavelengths on a string, and it changes for musical instruments depending on whether one side of the instrument is open or both sides.

This site should help you out for resonance:

physics.info/waves-standing/

Hope this helps and good luck!

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    Thanks, that was helpful.
    What are energy levels?

5. May 15, 2012 #4
    I think OCR stands for "Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations" one of the three exam boards in England (the other two being Edexcel and AQA).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook