1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about work

1. Mar 31, 2004 #1
    Heres the problem:

A 103 g bullet is fired from a rifle having a barrel .796 m long. Assuming the origin is placed where the bullet begins to move, the force exerted on the bullet by the expanding gas is F = a + bx - cx^2, where a = 10600 N, b = 5000 N/m, c = 39400 N/m^2, with x in meters.

Determine the work done by the gas on the bullet as the bullet travels the length of the barrel.

Also, if the barrel is 1.136 m long, how much work is done?

---------------------------------
    I wasnt sure whether or not to treat this problem as a variable force one.... the only way i really know how to do that is by using a "spring-like" constant, but im not sure if that is really applicable in this problem.

Could anyone point me in the right direction???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2004 #2
    Yes, the force is not constant in this problem so you have to treat it as a variable force problem. If you draw a graph of F as a function of X, what would it look like? What would the area below the graph represent? How can you find that area? Hint:
    [tex]W_F = \int _{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx[/tex]

4. Apr 2, 2004 #3
    ya...u can think of it this way...the force of the expanding gas on the bullet changes because it depends on the displacement x and the x iz changing...x changes frm what to what? 0 to .796...[so the integral can be interpreted az the force [F] changing with respect to x [dx] from x1 to x2]

- Mr. Kamadolli

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook