Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About Your Closet

1. They all face left

44.4%
  2. They all face right

14.8%
  3. They are random

22.2%
  4. What's a closet?

7.4%
  5. What's a hanger?

11.1%
  1. Jul 7, 2013 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your closet, do all your hanging shirts face the same way? Or are they every which-way?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No idea what a closet is. All my clothes are on my bed and floor.

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I believe my shirts face mostly left, probably since I'm right handed.

5. Jul 7, 2013 #4

jim mcnamara

When my wife puts things together for me there is order in my one fraction of one closet. Otherwise delicious chaos ensues. The floor of my fraction is always a well ordered snarl of last winter's shirts and denims in various stages of decay. There is a heavy wire metal dairy crate there to restrain the snarl.

All of the other closets are hers and arranged right-faced, with shirts buttoned.

This also explains why I am cornered into one-quarter of one closet.

6. Jul 7, 2013 #5

Evo

GASP! Surely you aren't suggesting that clothes can be hung facing different directions!!! Everything hangs facing to my left, shirts, coats, jackets, nightgowns and pajamas, sweaters, robes. All shoes have their toes pointed toward the wall. They are not allowed to peer out into the closet.

7. Jul 7, 2013 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin:

All my shirts look to the left, too. Funny thing is, I never noticed it before meeting my husband! All his shirts look right! So our shirts get to flirt with each other all the time, haha.

Shoes, I'm embarrassed, go every which-way. But my sock drawers are well-organized, by function (work socks here, gym socks there).

8. Jul 8, 2013 #7
    My shirts have a tendency to face left. On the extreme left side of the closet, however, they start facing right.

9. Jul 8, 2013 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha, I'm the same. I once was hanging up my coat in someone else's house and somehow it was reversed on the hanger, so I twisted the metal top so that it would face to the left again when hanged. The host didn't like it and twisted it back before hanging my coat :uhh:

It was an automatism, I didn't mean to be rude and twist his hanger :)

10. Jul 8, 2013 #9

drizzle

Gold Member

Faced left and I'm a left handed. :biggrin:

I think it depends, I have a big closet where the easiest way for me to look up any clothing is the left side of it since I have my desk close to the right side of the closet. currently I have all my clothes in my bags [lazy to hang them, besides I'm gonna pack up again in a month or so] :p

11. Jul 8, 2013 #10

MarneMath

Education Advisor

Facing my closet, shirts on the left side face right, and shirts on the right side face left. In the middle are ties. :)

12. Jul 8, 2013 #11

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Everything faces the right, color coordinated and sectioned out by season.

I also don't have many clothes. I have a 3' wide closet and most of it's contents are books. So it makes it very easy to organize.

13. Jul 8, 2013 #12

Astronuc

I'll have to check, but that might be the case in my closet too.

14. Jul 8, 2013 #13
    Fermionic shirts should alternate between left and right and bosonic shirts (tshirts?) dont care.

15. Jul 10, 2013 #14
    It doesn't matter if the clothes face left, right, east or west, your cat will always find a way to shed cat hair all over the them.

16. Jul 10, 2013 #15

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I just looked in my wife's closet, it's color coordinated based on crayons. -_-.

17. Jul 10, 2013 #16

Borek

I believe my shirts face mostly right, probably since I'm right handed.

18. Jul 10, 2013 #17

HayleySarg

Gold Member

In my defense, it's easy to color coordinate black.

By crayons? How does that work?

Mine face the right since I'm left/right mixed dominance. I like to do strong, large motor skill functions with my left. (Throw, carry, etc). I grab the hanger with my left hand.

19. Jul 10, 2013 #18
    Mine face left, and I'm right handed..:redface:

20. Jul 10, 2013 #19

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whey is being a shirt a hanging offence? I have a few good shirts, one of which which I dig out and iron when I have to go to a job interview, a wedding, or a funeral.

I wear jeans or shorts and golf/tennis shirts or t-shirts when I am at work, and when I am not at work. I fold these, and put them in drawers.

In our front closet, my jackets and coats all face right.

21. Jul 10, 2013 #20

HayleySarg

Gold Member

I only own like 8 shirts, 4 pants, 2 skirts. So If I didn't hang them, that'd be pretty lazy.

I bet if I had a lot more clothes I'd just fold them. It's way easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook