Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about zero element in vector spaces

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Suppose I have a set involving trigonometric functions, with addition defined as multiplication of two vectors. If this is a vector space, the zero vector has to be unique. If cos (0) works as the zero vector, then cos (2*pi), etc. also work. Does this mean the set is not a vector space, because the zero element is not unique? Or is it still a vector space (all other axioms check out) because cos (0) = cos (2*pi) = 1 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    I'm a little confused... what's your underlying field? How is multiplication between a field element and vector element defined?

Steven

4. Apr 29, 2005 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as it satifies the axioms of a vector space it is a vector space. The set of vectors may be a partition of another set defined by an equiavlence relation (which I think is what you're getting at).

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The zero vector in a vector space of functions is the ZERO function if f(x)=0 for all x. Is that the kind of thing you're after?

6. Apr 30, 2005 #5
    I understand now. You guys were a lot of help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?