Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question as to the workings of PF

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    obviously i am new to PF, so i have a question.
    I notice that some people are a 'guru' or 'homework helper' or stuff like that. Does the almighty Bernhardt elevate you to these honors? i know nothing, so i have no hope of attaining anything except 'PFs most idiotic member' or 'village idiot', but that's ok, atleast i am good at something :smile:

Fibonacci

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Members that receive the "Science Advisor" & "Homework Helper" ribbons are nominated by mentors for repeatedly displaying accurate knowledge and a helpful nature, Greg makes the final decision and gives the awards.

Members that receive the "guru" ribbons are nominated by mentors based on the above criteria, but the actual forum members vote for who gets the awards.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The staff selects the homework helpers and science advisors based on the quality and helpfulness of posts at the site, along with demonstration of knowledge on a topic (keep in mind, the advisors often have narrow areas of expertise, so the medal doesn't mean they are an expert everywhere). The "guru" awards were done by a vote...the mentors nominated a group of people for each category, and then the nominees were listed in a poll and the members voted from among them.

We do have a funniest member award, even though our resident funny guy has been missing in action for a while (he better watch out, I see a lot of new competition cropping up this year ready to take the title). Perhaps we can petition for a category of "Village Idiot" next time around. :rofl:

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4
    I better kick the stupid up another level (if it is possible for any human to do)
    :tongue2:

Fibonacci

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone (Evo?) suggested that the Most Improved Member title was unawarded after last time's votings. I've still not got it, so I'm trying my best for next year...

7. Apr 2, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yep, I'm nominating Brewnog for the "Most Improved Member" award this year. That ribbon ought to raise a few eyebrows. :rofl:

8. Apr 2, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Was it surgery, or one of those vacuum pump gizmos? :eek:

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, except from those of us in the thread-killer thread. All of our eyebrows have been singed off in a series of unfortunate explosions (unfortunate because they haven't killed the thread yet).

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheers chicken!

Those without eyebrows don't deserve an opinion anyway. And Danger's vote gets taken away because he's a minor.

11. Apr 2, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah! Almost the 3rd time around. :wink:

12. Apr 2, 2005 #11
    Doesn't franz have enough awards already? Come on, lets have an award with actual competition this time.

13. Apr 2, 2005 #12
    :rofl: :rofl:

14. Apr 2, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He may not have enough awards, but he has enough eyebrows.

Danger, since you're Trib's replacement, sort him out. :smile:

15. Apr 2, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, first off... I still don't know just who the hell this Tribdog is that everybody's talking about. Secondly, I haven't been here long enough to figure out whose side I'm on. (I'll probably just lie in the weeds and snipe everybody.) Third, Smurf's a fellow Canuk, so he get's a bit of extra leeway.

16. Apr 3, 2005 #15
    I was thinking to go for the "Most Obnoxious" but WAY too competitive... :approve:

17. Apr 3, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's always a very challenging category. Not many make it that far. It requires quite a bit of strategy to be the "Most Obnoxious without getting Banned" member. Go too far and you're eliminated from the competition permanently, don't go far enough, and someone slips in and usurps the title.

18. Apr 3, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Hands off, dude. That's mine. :tongue:

19. Apr 3, 2005 #18
    I thought yours was "Most Proliferate" member. :tongue: Though the sheep jokes may get you an award...of some kind...

20. Apr 3, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Oh. Okay then. :smile:
    I just didn't want to be left out. :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?