Question as to the workings of PF

• Thread starter 1123581321
  • Start date
In summary: That's always a very challenging category. Not many make it that far. It requires quite a bit of strategy to be the "Most Obnoxious without getting Banned" member. Go too far and you're eliminated from the competition permanently, don't go far enough, and someone slips in... it's a close race.
obviously i am new to PF, so i have a question.
I notice that some people are a 'guru' or 'homework helper' or stuff like that. Does the almighty Bernhardt elevate you to these honors? i know nothing, so i have no hope of attaining anything except 'PFs most idiotic member' or 'village idiot', but that's ok, atleast i am good at something :smile:

Fibonacci

Physics news on Phys.org
1 said:
obviously i am new to PF, so i have a question.
I notice that some people are a 'guru' or 'homework helper' or stuff like that. Does the almighty Bernhardt elevate you to these honors? i know nothing, so i have no hope of attaining anything except 'PFs most idiotic member' or 'village idiot', but that's ok, atleast i am good at something :smile:

Fibonacci
Members that receive the "Science Advisor" & "Homework Helper" ribbons are nominated by mentors for repeatedly displaying accurate knowledge and a helpful nature, Greg makes the final decision and gives the awards.

Members that receive the "guru" ribbons are nominated by mentors based on the above criteria, but the actual forum members vote for who gets the awards.

The staff selects the homework helpers and science advisors based on the quality and helpfulness of posts at the site, along with demonstration of knowledge on a topic (keep in mind, the advisors often have narrow areas of expertise, so the medal doesn't mean they are an expert everywhere). The "guru" awards were done by a vote...the mentors nominated a group of people for each category, and then the nominees were listed in a poll and the members voted from among them.

We do have a funniest member award, even though our resident funny guy has been missing in action for a while (he better watch out, I see a lot of new competition cropping up this year ready to take the title). Perhaps we can petition for a category of "Village Idiot" next time around. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Perhaps we can petition for a category of "Village Idiot" next time around. :rofl:

I better kick the stupid up another level (if it is possible for any human to do)
:tongue2:

Fibonacci

Someone (Evo?) suggested that the Most Improved Member title was unawarded after last time's votings. I've still not got it, so I'm trying my best for next year...

brewnog said:
Someone (Evo?) suggested that the Most Improved Member title was unawarded after last time's votings. I've still not got it, so I'm trying my best for next year...
Yep, I'm nominating Brewnog for the "Most Improved Member" award this year. That ribbon ought to raise a few eyebrows. :rofl:

Evo said:
Yep, I'm nominating Brewnog for the "Most Improved Member" award this year. That ribbon ought to raise a few eyebrows. :rofl:
Was it surgery, or one of those vacuum pump gizmos? :eek:

Evo said:
That ribbon ought to raise a few eyebrows. :rofl:

Well, except from those of us in the thread-killer thread. All of our eyebrows have been singed off in a series of unfortunate explosions (unfortunate because they haven't killed the thread yet).

Evo said:

Cheers chicken!

Those without eyebrows don't deserve an opinion anyway. And Danger's vote gets taken away because he's a minor.

brewnog said:
Danger's vote gets taken away because he's a minor.
Yeah! Almost the 3rd time around. :wink:

Moonbear said:
Perhaps we can petition for a category of "Village Idiot" next time around. :rofl:
Doesn't franz have enough awards already? Come on, let's have an award with actual competition this time.

Smurf said:
Doesn't franz have enough awards already? Come on, let's have an award with actual competition this time.
:rofl: :rofl:

Smurf said:

He may not have enough awards, but he has enough eyebrows.

Danger, since you're Trib's replacement, sort him out. :smile:

brewnog said:
Danger, since you're Trib's replacement, sort him out. :smile:
Okay, first off... I still don't know just who the hell this Tribdog is that everybody's talking about. Secondly, I haven't been here long enough to figure out whose side I'm on. (I'll probably just lie in the weeds and snipe everybody.) Third, Smurf's a fellow Canuk, so he get's a bit of extra leeway.

I was thinking to go for the "Most Obnoxious" but WAY too competitive... :approve:

2CentsWorth said:
I was thinking to go for the "Most Obnoxious" but WAY too competitive... :approve:

That's always a very challenging category. Not many make it that far. It requires quite a bit of strategy to be the "Most Obnoxious without getting Banned" member. Go too far and you're eliminated from the competition permanently, don't go far enough, and someone slips in and usurps the title.

2CentsWorth said:
Hands off, dude. That's mine. :tongue:

Danger said:
Hands off, dude. That's mine. :tongue:
I thought yours was "Most Proliferate" member. :tongue: Though the sheep jokes may get you an award...of some kind...

2CentsWorth said:
I thought yours was "Most Proliferate" member. :tongue: Though the sheep jokes may get you an award...of some kind...
Oh. Okay then. :smile:
I just didn't want to be left out. :redface:

1. What is PF and why is it important in science?

PF stands for Potential of Mean Force and it is a measure of the average interactions between two molecules. It is important in science because it helps to understand the behavior and dynamics of molecules, which can then be used to predict and design new materials and drugs.

2. How is PF calculated?

PF is typically calculated using molecular simulations, such as molecular dynamics or Monte Carlo simulations. These simulations use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the movements and interactions of molecules, which can then be used to calculate the PF.

3. Can PF be experimentally measured?

Yes, PF can be experimentally measured using techniques such as force spectroscopy, surface plasmon resonance, and atomic force microscopy. These techniques involve directly measuring the forces between molecules and can provide valuable information about the PF.

4. What factors affect the PF between molecules?

The PF between molecules can be affected by a variety of factors, including the distance between the molecules, their size, shape, and charge, as well as the surrounding environment and temperature. Additionally, the types of interactions (i.e. hydrogen bonding, van der Waals forces) between the molecules also play a significant role in determining the PF.

5. How can understanding PF be applied in real-world applications?

Understanding the PF between molecules is crucial in many real-world applications, such as drug design, material science, and biophysics. By knowing the PF, scientists can predict and design molecules that have specific desired interactions, leading to the development of new and improved materials and drugs.