Calculating Capacitance of a Parallel Plate Capacitor Using Integration

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary: I integrated the expression in limits of x from zero to "a" and got the correct answer ! Thanks once again. :)
sankalpmittal

Homework Statement

See the image:
http://postimg.org/image/q550yqqd1/

Left click to enlarge...

Homework Equations

For a parallel plate capacitor, Capacitance C=KεoA/d

A is area of plate and d is distance between the two plates..

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to approach. I divided the capacitor along the diagonal into two halves. For the first half,

dC1 = K1εodA/dl

I took a strip of edge dx and length "l" perpendicular to the capacitor. Area of that strip= (x+dx)2-x2=2xdx..

dA=2xdx

Hence,
dC1 = 2K1εoxdx/dl

Now taking an angle θ, tanθ=d/a= (d-l)/(a-x)...

Am I going in the right direction ?

Please help !

Thanks in advance...
:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't clearly picture how you're dividing up the device. In my mind's eye I can see taking vertical slices of width dx across the image. At some horizontal position x, a slice will effectively consist of two capacitors in series, one with dielectric K1, the other with dielectric K2. "Plate" area is given by a*dx, and "plate" separation for each capacitor can be determined with a bit of geometry.

gneill said:
I can't clearly picture how you're dividing up the device. In my mind's eye I can see taking vertical slices of width dx across the image. At some horizontal position x, a slice will effectively consist of two capacitors in series, one with dielectric K1, the other with dielectric K2. "Plate" area is given by a*dx, and "plate" separation for each capacitor can be determined with a bit of geometry.

Ok, So I have a differential form,

dC2=K2εoadx/distance, as per the hint you gave. I also understand that the two capacitors are in series. So what should I replace K with ?

And about geometry... I took angle θ between diagonal and an edge. Then,

tanθ = d/a = y/x = (d-y)/(a-x)

where, the capacitor with dielectric constant K2 is positioned at distance x and its distance from the one edge(horizontal) to the boundary of second capacitor.

Am I on the right track ? Thanks..

sankalpmittal said:
Ok, So I have a differential form,

dC2=K2εoadx/distance, as per the hint you gave. I also understand that the two capacitors are in series. So what should I replace K with ?
You don't replace K, rather you need to find expressions for the two capacitors in terms of their individual K's and geometry, then combine them in series to yield a net capacitance for that "slice". The slices are all in parallel...
attachment.php?attachmentid=60497&stc=1&d=1374767115.gif

And about geometry... I took angle θ between diagonal and an edge. Then,

tanθ = d/a = y/x = (d-y)/(a-x)

where, the capacitor with dielectric constant K2 is positioned at distance x and its distance from the one edge(horizontal) to the boundary of second capacitor.

Am I on the right track ? Thanks..

I believe so... can you write expressions for the two capacitances of a slice?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 990
gneill said:
I believe so... can you write expressions for the two capacitances of a slice?

gneill,

As per the image you gave,

dC1 = K1εoadx/d1

dC2= K2εoadx/d2

Correct ?

Now dC=dC1*dC2/(dC2+dC1) ?

sankalpmittal said:
gneill,

As per the image you gave,

dC1 = K1εoadx/d1

dC2= K2εoadx/d2

Correct ?

Now dC=dC1*dC2/(dC2+dC1) ?

Right. You'll want to express d1 and d2 in terms of some common variable over which you can integrate.

gneill said:
Right. You'll want to express d1 and d2 in terms of some common variable over which you can integrate.

Ok, so replacing d2=d-d1,

dC1 = K1εoadx/d1

dC2= K2εoadx/(d-d1)

Now, dC=dC1*dC2/(dC2+dC1)
dC=K1K2εoadx/{K1(d-d1)+K2d1}

Now to what limit shall I integrate this expression over ? Looks like I will have to eliminate d1.

By geometry, I got,

d(a-x)/a = d1

Correct ?

P.S. d is distance between plates as given. dC is small capacitance. dx is small distance between slices as per your image. (Thanks.)

Last edited:
sankalpmittal said:
Now to what limit shall I integrate this expression over ? Looks like I will have to eliminate d1.

By geometry, I got,

d(a-x)/a = d1

Correct ?
Sure. So you're integrating w.r.t. x. You should be able to see from the diagram the limits for x.

gneill said:
Sure. So you're integrating w.r.t. x. You should be able to see from the diagram the limits for x.

Thanks a lot gneill ! :smile:

I integrated the expression in limits of x from zero to "a" and got the correct answer ! Thanks once again.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by accumulating and storing electrical charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied across the plates, electrons are attracted to one plate and repelled from the other, creating an electric field. This field stores the energy until the capacitor is discharged.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are many different types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique properties and applications. For example, ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, while electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance but are more prone to failure.

4. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the farad (F). However, in most practical applications, capacitors have much smaller capacitance values and are measured in microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

5. How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance in farads, Q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the voltage in volts. Alternatively, the capacitance can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's specifications for the capacitor.