Shear Force Calculation for Punching Rectangular Holes in Mild Steel Plate

In summary: I see that you are unfamiliar with MathType, which is unfortunate. It's a great piece of software and very user-friendly. It allows for a lot of formatting flexibility and it's free. I suggest you look into it if you're interested in doing more complex math.In summary, the author is working on a problem and is stumped. He is looking for help from those who have been through the examples in the book. The problem he is facing is that he is not calculating the punching shear. The area in shear is the perimeter times the thickness. The area being calculated is the surface area of the rectangle being punched out. The answer in the back of the book is correct.
iionas
I have just reg'd here and I have been lurking forever but its time to give in so I can get some help.

Ive been working through some examples in this book; and so far so good however I am on a question which does not make sense the way I am working it out seems to me to be correct however the answer directs me elsewhere.

The question is on hear force.

Determine the force required to punch 20 x 15 mm rectangular holes in am ild steel plate 8mm thick..

Now I've done a similar question but with a circle instead of the rectangle..

I don't see the problem here..

Formulas which it prompts me to use is for Area = 20 x 15 x t (8) t = thickness..

Which is 2400 respectively. With this answer I multiply for the USS (ultimate shear strength of the material which is given mild steel = 360N .

And I get a figure of 864,000 or 864 KN..

The answer in the back of this book is 202kN. I am Stumped What Am I doing wrong?

Apologies if this is a bit to simple or It comes off as stupid. Its racking my brain...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are getting the wrong answer because you are not calculating the punching shear.

The area you are calculating is the surface area of the rectangle being punched out. This is not the area in shear.

The area in shear is the perimeter times the thickness.

The answer given by the book is correct.

Does this help?

Incidentally I strongly recommend taking more care with units, you are incorrectly stating stress in Newtons. Attention to detail is all important in the technical world.

Last edited:
20+20+15+15 x 8 = 70

70 * 8 = 560

560 * 360 = 201600 / 1000 = 201.6 = 202kNI Thank you for the help. I may post more in here.Im going to contribute as much as I can here. You've been more help than my tutor has. Thanks again.

You are welcome, glad I could help you see it for yourself, that's the best way, but don't be afraid to ask for more detail if needed.

:wink:

Im Going to post another question here...This is something once again with shear...

I don't quite understand why this is.

Determine the required number of 10mm mild steel bolts to hold two over lapping strips of metal against a total shear force of 75.4kN if the allowable stress in shear is 120MPaIm not quite certain how to go about this one.

However I am going to keep trying..Can anyone provide some insight? Thanks

The bolts for two strips of steel are in single shear.

This means that there is only one cross section of the bolt under shear stress.

So total shear = shear stress on each bolt x number of bolts.

However you also have to check the bearing or tear out stress here.

This is failure of a metal strip, not a bolt. This stress is a bit like the punching shear in that it is (almost) perimeter times strip thickness.

A diagram helps.

Let me give it a shot; No diagram just working out of a book with next to no explanation.

Like I said this is a stab in the dark I don't want to come off as stupid...so I am thinking

A = 2 x pie*10^2/4 = 157

then wed use f = F / A

so wed have 75400/157 = 480.25

then wed use what you suggested..480.25 = 120 B

B = Boltsthis will equal 4 .. We multiply by 2 because of two strips.. So wed get 8..This is the right answer in the back of the book however I am unsure that its correct...Am I completely wrong?

this will equal 4 .. We multiply by 2 because of two strips.. So wed get 8..

No this is not correct. If you draw a diagram you will see why. Just because there is no diagram in the book, does not stop you drawing one.

I really suggest you pay more attention to detail, including written English. It will help you enormously get things right. This is the biggest cause of wrong answers = lost marks.

I do indeed make it 8 bolts thus:-

[tex]N.\pi .\frac{{{{(10)}^2}}}{4}{.120.10^6}{.10^{ - 6}} = 75400[/tex]

Where N is the number of bolts.

I will look over it again once I am home infront of my books. Thanks again for the help

In case this helps, a multiplication dot in latex is {\cdot}, I think. For example,

a{\cdot}b gives [tex]a{\cdot}b[/tex], and
a\cdot b gives [tex]a\cdot b[/tex].​

Thank you, nvn.

Not being a LaTex fiend I am using (learning) MathType. I have now located the multiplication point, which I was using for clarity and emphasis in this case, in MT.

What is shear force?

Shear force is a type of force that acts parallel to the surface of an object, causing different parts of the object to slide past each other.

What causes shear force?

Shear force is caused by external forces acting on an object, such as gravity or applied loads. It can also be caused by internal forces, such as tension or compression.

How is shear force calculated?

Shear force is calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting on an object in a specific direction. It is typically denoted by the symbol "F" and measured in units of force, such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What is the difference between shear force and bending moment?

Shear force and bending moment are both types of forces that act on an object, but they have different effects. Shear force causes an object to slide or shear, while bending moment causes an object to bend or deform.

Why is shear force important in engineering?

Shear force is important in engineering because it helps to determine the stability and strength of structures. By understanding the shear force acting on a structure, engineers can ensure that it can withstand external forces and maintain its integrity.