1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question check calorie question

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    Explain the laboratory methods used to determine the energy content of foods?
    The laboratory methods used to determine the energy content of foods would be to combust it in a bomb calorimeter. Let’s say that I wanted to see how much calories is in a peanut. What I would do is burn it in a bomb calorimeter. As I am burning it, I would record the temperature of the water inside the bomb calorimeter. After the peanut is completely burned, I would calculate the Q value of water. Let's the temperature changed 6.0 oC and the mass of water was 100.0g. I calculate Q by (6.0 oC)(100.0g)(4.18kJ/ oC), which is 2508J. I would divide that with 4.184J because 1cal=4.184J. The calories in that peanut would be 599.43 cal.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks right to me. Just take care on your units, the units of specific heat are KJ/ (kg K) don't forget the mass unit.

Regards,
    -Hoot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?