Does a NP in a Pass/No Pass Class Impact Grad School Admissions?

• Other
  • Thread starter oswae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics major's concern about a NP grade received in a P/NP statistics class. The general consensus is that while it may not affect the GPA, it could raise concerns for top 20 physics grad programs. However, the importance of grades is not as significant as letters of recommendation and research experience in the admission process. It is advised to not take classes for fun if not committed to following through with them.
oswae
Hey there everyone! First post here, sadly on a bad note. So I'm currently a second year physics major and I'm really trying to aim to get into a top 20 physics grad program but I just received my grades back from this last semester and I actually did pretty well! However, I found out that I received a NP in a P/NP Statistics class that I took for fun. Will this affect my chances quite a bit or should I not be too concerned? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't matter much at all, but you'll need to have a story ready in the unlikely case it comes up. At some point a good grounding in statistics will be necessary - a lot of that can be acquired in your physics classes.

Alright thanks for your reply and I will work harder on understanding stats :) Thanks again

It probably won't look good but based on what I have observed among my friend in physics grad school admissions, lower grades in other areas don't hurt too much. My friend majored in another science field where he got some bad grades but still got into a top ten physics program. I think strongest factors in grad school admissions are probably letters of recommendation and research experience. So you can overcome lower grades if you are outstanding in those areas but not the other way around.

Tip: don't take classes for fun if you aren't going to follow through with them.

A NP doesn't affect GPA, but will still raise some eyebrows- especially since it was a mathematics course. "Top 20" schools receive far more applications than they have room to admit, you're giving them an easy reason to pick another applicant. Don't do that.

1. What is a "Question concerning a class"?

A "Question concerning a class" is a type of scientific inquiry that involves investigating a specific topic or problem within a particular field or discipline. It typically involves formulating a research question, gathering data, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions and make recommendations.

2. How is a "Question concerning a class" different from other types of research?

A "Question concerning a class" is unique in that it focuses on a specific class or category of objects, phenomena, or concepts within a larger field of study. This allows for more targeted and in-depth analysis compared to broader forms of research.

3. What are the steps involved in conducting a "Question concerning a class"?

The steps involved in conducting a "Question concerning a class" may vary depending on the specific research question and methodology being used, but typically include: 1) defining the research question, 2) conducting a literature review, 3) designing a study or experiment, 4) collecting and analyzing data, and 5) drawing conclusions and making recommendations.

4. What are some examples of "Question concerning a class" in different scientific fields?

Examples of "Question concerning a class" can be found in various scientific fields, such as biology, psychology, physics, and sociology. For example, a biologist may conduct a "Question concerning a class" on the effects of a certain pesticide on a specific species of insects, while a psychologist may investigate the impact of different teaching methods on student learning in a specific subject area.

5. How can the results of a "Question concerning a class" be applied in real-world settings?

The results of a "Question concerning a class" can have practical applications in various industries and fields. For example, a study on the effectiveness of a certain medication may inform healthcare providers on the best treatment options for their patients, while a study on consumer behavior may help businesses improve their marketing strategies. Additionally, the findings of a "Question concerning a class" can also contribute to the existing body of scientific knowledge and inform future research in the field.