Exploring Solutions to a Functional Equation with Real Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all functions f : R → R that satisfy the equation f(f(x+y)-f(x-y))=xy for all real x,y. The participants suggest considering the domain and range of the function, the use of derivatives, and potential functions such as f(x) = x^√2 / A.
steve B. 98
Member warned about posting with no template
I'm trying to solve this problem from a high school math competition:
Find all functions f : R → R such that, f(f(x+y)-f(x-y))=xy, for all real x,y.
Any ideas of how to approach it.
I have found that f(0)=0, if x=y f(f(2x))=x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Some thoughts:
I would note that the domain and range of the function must be all real numbers. This should eliminate many of the trig functions and exponentials.
Based on what you have, it seems like f(x) might incorporate some improper exponent...
Say...##f(x) = \frac{x^\sqrt {2} }{A}## where A scales 2 to 1 over two iterations.
I am not 100% sure how you would expand this out for the sums, and I don't think that function is defined for all x,y in the real numbers.

Another option,
Think of the derivatives:
##\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f ( f( x+ y) - f(x-y) ) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} xy ##
##f ' ( f( x+ y) - f(x-y) ) * (f'(x+y)-f'(x-y)) = y ##
##\frac{\partial}{\partial y} f ( f( x+ y) - f(x-y) ) = \frac{\partial}{\partial y} xy ##
##f ' ( f( x+ y) - f(x-y) ) * (f'(x+y)+f'(x-y)) = x ##
And second derivatives are all zero.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between an input (usually represented by x) and an output (usually represented by y). It is a rule that takes an input and produces a corresponding output.

2. What is the purpose of using functions?

Functions are used to organize and analyze data, make predictions, and solve problems in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. They also help in understanding and modeling real-world phenomena.

3. How do you define a function?

A function is typically defined by an equation or a set of rules that describe the relationship between the input and output. It can also be represented graphically as a curve or a line.

4. What are the different types of functions?

The most common types of functions include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. Other types include polynomial, rational, and piecewise functions.

5. How do you determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined. The range is the set of all output values that the function can produce. To determine the domain and range, you can analyze the function's equation, graph, or table of values.