1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question concerning gauss's law

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Electric Field everywhere in space for an infinitely long slab in the x-y plane with thickness (t) and uniform volume charge density (rho).

Find the electric field if the sheet becomes a conductor.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the E field above and below the sheet only corresponds to z but stays constant along z. I also believe that E = (rho)(t)/[2(epsilon)] for both above and below the sheet. However I am confused as to what to do for inside the slab. I believe it involves an integral from -t/2 to t/2 but i am not quite sure what I would be integrating. Any help would be appreciated.

For the second part I know the E field inside the slab would be zero. So using Gauss's law I got that E = (rho)(t)/(epsilon) for above and below the slab. Any feedback would be a great help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted