Question concerning vectors

• Thread starter wajed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle between two vectors and the solution involving the scalar product rule. The individual is looking for an alternative method to solve the problem and is uncertain about vectors. They also ask about finding the vector product of two vectors and question how the resultant vector can be perpendicular to both original vectors. The solution involves drawing the vectors on a sheet of paper and using geometry to find the angle, and also clarifies the confusion about the z-axis. In the end, the individual thanks the other person for their help.
wajed
I have this question in my book:-

find the angle between the two vectors:
A= i - 2j + 3k
B= 2i + 3j -2k

the solution is based on the scalar product rule.. (so the question is solved)...

I`m just tryin to find another way to solve the problem? because I`m not really confident of vectors..

I have a questions also:-
Find the vector product of the two vectors:
A= i - 2j + 3k
B= 2i + 3j -2k
now the answer is: -5i+8j+7k..

now how could that resultant vector be perperndicular on A and B? it seems to have a "not right" angle (not 90 degree angle)..
because if the origion is 0,0,0.. then -5i +8j+7k makes a "non right" angle (it would only be right if the answer was 0,0,xk where x is any number)

if I`m mistaken about the origion being 0,0,0 then what is it?

by the way, I`ve asked this question on "Y! asnwers", but none answered, so I`m posting here..

Physics news on Phys.org
wajed said:
I have this question in my book:-

find the angle between the two vectors:
A= i - 2j + 3k
B= 2i + 3j -2k

the solution is based on the scalar product rule.. (so the question is solved)...

I`m just tryin to find another way to solve the problem? because I`m not really confident of vectors..
If it makes you feel any better, you can draw them on a sheet of paper and use some geometry to find the angle... in the end you will end up using the exact same expression as you would using the inner product.

wajed said:
I have a questions also:-
Find the vector product of the two vectors:
A= i - 2j + 3k
B= 2i + 3j -2k
now the answer is: -5i+8j+7k..

now how could that resultant vector be perperndicular on A and B? it seems to have a "not right" angle (not 90 degree angle)..
because if the origion is 0,0,0.. then -5i +8j+7k makes a "non right" angle (it would only be right if the answer was 0,0,xk where x is any number)

First of all, (0, 0, xk) either does not make sense (when k is again a unit vector) or is confusing notation at the very best. I assume you meant x k = (0, 0, x).
Why do you think it should be along the z-axis? It would make a right angle with any vectors in the (x, y) plane. If you take for example A = i + j, B = 3i - 2j, you will see that the vector product A x B gives something pointing in the k-direction only. The vectors you gave have components along all three axes though. If you draw them on a piece of paper you will see that (A x B) is perpendicular to A (makes a right angle with A), as well as with B.

I got it, thank you,

"It would make a right angle with any vectors in the (x, y) plane. If you take for example A = i + j, B = 3i - 2j, you will see that the vector product A x B gives something pointing in the k-direction only."

Actually that was the problem, I was thinking of the first two vectors as being only on the x,y plane.

Thanx

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a mathematical object that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. In other words, a scalar is a single number, while a vector is a combination of magnitude and direction.

3. What are the basic operations that can be performed on vectors?

The basic operations that can be performed on vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot product. Addition and subtraction involve combining two vectors, scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a single number), and dot product involves finding the angle between two vectors.

4. How are vectors used in the field of science?

Vectors are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are useful for representing physical quantities, such as velocity, force, and displacement, and for solving mathematical equations and problems.

5. Can vectors be used to represent real-life situations?

Yes, vectors can be used to represent real-life situations. For example, in physics, a vector can be used to represent the force acting on an object, and in navigation, a vector can be used to represent the direction and distance of a ship's movement. Vectors are also commonly used in computer graphics and animation to represent movement and motion.