Is my physics quiz on confirmations correct?

• Thread starter CanadianEh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a multiple choice quiz for a physics class. The first question asks about the centre of mass of an object, with the correct answer being that it must always lie within the mass of the object. The second question is about a ball on a string being whirled in a horizontal circle, with the correct answer being that the horizontal force acting on the ball points inwards, towards the centre of the circle. The third question is about a man standing on a turntable with dumbells, and the correct answer is that his rotational speed increases when he brings his hands in close to his chest. The person asking for confirmation got all the answers correct.
CanadianEh
Hi there, I have a multiple choice quiz that I completed for my physics class and I'm looking for confirmation on whether I'm correct or not.

1.The centre of mass of an object...
A. Must always lie outside the object, at a point where there is no mass.
B. May lie outside the object, at a point where no mass is.
C. Must always lie within the mass of the object

2. Consider a ball on the end of a string being whirled in a horizontal circle. The horizontal force acting on the ball points...
A. outwards, away from the centre of the circle
B. inwards, towards the centre of the circle
C. ... nonsense. There is no force at all on the ball

3. A man is standing on a turntable holding a dumbell in each of his outstretched hands. He is rotating at 1 rev/s. If he now brings his hands in close to his chest,
A. his rotational speed decreases
B. his rotational speed is unchanged
C. his rotational speed increases

The answers I got are B, B and C respectively. Can anyone confirm?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good!

I can confirm that your answers are correct. The centre of mass of an object can lie outside the object, but it must always be within the mass of the object. In the case of the ball on a string, the horizontal force acting on the ball points inwards towards the centre of the circle, and when the man on the turntable brings his hands in, his rotational speed increases due to the conservation of angular momentum. Good job on your quiz!

1. What is a question confirmation?

A question confirmation is a type of question that is used to verify or confirm information that has been previously discussed or mentioned. It is often used to ensure that both parties are on the same page and to avoid misunderstandings.

2. How is a question confirmation different from a regular question?

A regular question is used to gather new information, while a question confirmation is used to verify information that has already been discussed. A question confirmation typically starts with phrases such as "Just to confirm" or "Is it correct that..."

3. When should I use a question confirmation?

A question confirmation should be used when there is a need to verify or confirm information in a conversation or communication. This can be especially helpful in situations where there may be a language barrier or potential for misunderstandings.

4. What are some examples of question confirmations?

Examples of question confirmations include "Just to confirm, we are meeting at 3 pm tomorrow, correct?" or "Is it correct that you have completed the first stage of the experiment?" These questions seek to verify information that has been previously discussed.

5. How can question confirmations improve communication?

Question confirmations can improve communication by ensuring that both parties are on the same page and have a clear understanding of the information being discussed. They can also help to avoid misunderstandings and clarify any confusing or ambiguous information.