Why is the 3rd step in this theorem proof legal?

In summary, the characteristic polynomial for B is equivalent to the characteristic polynomial for A because B is similar to A and the non-singular matrix S can be factored out and moved around using the rules of algebra.
Ylle

Homework Statement

Let pA(x) and pB(x) be the characteristic polynomial for A and B. If B is similar to A, then there exists a non-singular matrix S so B = S-1AS. Thus there:

pB(x) = det(B-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)
= det(S-1AS-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)
= det(S-1(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)S)
= det(S-1)det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)det(S)
= pA(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, that I really don't know why the 3rd step is legal ? Can I just put the S's anywhere I want ?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't 'put S's anywhere you want'. That would be silly. What you can do is use that I=S^(-1)*I*S and use the rules of algebra to move the S's around by factoring.

1. What is a theorem proof?

A theorem proof is a logical argument or demonstration that shows the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It is a step-by-step process of using accepted axioms and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

2. Why are theorem proofs important in science?

Theorem proofs are important in science because they provide a rigorous and logical way to verify the validity of mathematical statements and theories. They allow scientists to confidently use mathematical concepts and formulas in their research and experiments.

3. How do you write a theorem proof?

To write a theorem proof, you must first clearly state the theorem you are trying to prove. Then, you must provide a logical argument using accepted axioms and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion. It is important to use precise language and clearly explain each step in the proof.

4. What are some common strategies for proving a theorem?

Some common strategies for proving a theorem include using direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by mathematical induction. Other strategies may involve using counterexamples, proofs by exhaustion, or applying mathematical transformations.

5. Are there any tips for writing a clear and concise theorem proof?

Yes, some tips for writing a clear and concise theorem proof include carefully organizing your steps, using precise language, and providing explanations for each step. It can also be helpful to break the proof into smaller, manageable parts and to use diagrams or examples to illustrate key points.