Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question for bubbles

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Spherical non-oscillating bubbles in a saturated liquid always tend to dissove, why?

If the pressure is already balanced, why the bubbles dissolve?

Is it due to the diffusion of gas? If all things are in balance, will bubbles still dissolve?

Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    If we are talking about a container such as a coca cola bottle, the bubbles disappear because they are lighter than the solution, thus they travel upwards and the air in the bubble eventually meets the air above the liquid.

Even if the container is so full of liquid that the only air inside is one bubble, it will travel to the top.

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

Whether the bubbles grow or dissolve depends on the concentration of the dissolved gas, external pressure, and bubble size. If all these things are in balance, the bubbles will not dissolve.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    I 'm now studying sonoluminescence.
    The book is written by Ronald Young(2005).
    In the part of rectified diffusion in chapter 1, it is said that

" The surface tension segma of th eliquid will always cause a pressure 2segma/R that adds to the partial gas pressure inside the bubble in pressure equilibrium. Consequently, spherical non-oscillating bubbles in a saturated liquid under pressure p0 will always tend to dissolve."

I wonder why spherical non-oscillating bubbles in a saturated liquid under pressure p0 will always tend to dissolve. That means why oscillating can make a bubble stable, but once without oscillating, the bubble dissolve.

According to your ideas, if things are in balance, although the bubbles are not oscillating, they will not dissolve.

Thanks for help.

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5
    Since we are talking about a saturated fluid, are the bubbles in your case supposed to be formed out of steam or out of air?

7. Sep 3, 2011 #6

GT1

If the liquid is saturated the pressure inside the bubble is higher then the partial at the solution due to the surface tension. gas will defuse out of the bubble and the bubble will collapse.

You can read about it here:
    http://www.deepocean.net/deepocean/index.php?science04.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Sep 10, 2011 #7
    That means the reason for a bubble dissolves does not depend on whether it is oscillating?
    That's something about rectified diffusion?

9. Sep 10, 2011 #8

I'm very sorry that I cannot find your understandings in the article.
    Could you state more clearly where i can find them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook