Navigating the World of Engineering Projects as a Biomedical Engineering Student

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
In summary, I think that most engineers are expected to know how to put things back together again, and to be able to identify and solve problems.
Mdhiggenz
Hey guys, right now I am a 3rd year Biomedical engineering student, and I am a bit nervous seeing how a lot of my engineering friends have already started working on projects that involve building things.

This scares me, because I have never really built anything before and want to know if we are just expected to know how to put the laws of physics and just create something out of the blue. Or will we gradually be taught how to create things.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:
Hey guys, right now I am a 3rd year Biomedical engineering student, and I am a bit nervous seeing how a lot of my engineering friends have already started working on projects that involve building things.

This scares me, because I have never really built anything before and want to know if we are just expected to know how to put the laws of physics and just create something out of the blue. Or will we gradually be taught how to create things.

Thanks

I'm surprised; I'm in my first year and some of my us are already building calculators and clocks out of logic gates as well as race car parts out of solidworks, and a bunch of other things.

Don't they make you build things in your engineering classes?

BiP

You haven't had to do any hands-on work in your engineering degree up to your 3rd year? :-o

I actually misspoke I'm a 3rd year college student, and just finished my undergraduate Core curriculum to get accepted into the program, so I start the actual engineering classes next semester.

Engineering is a state of mind. You create things based upon what you know that works and how it could be made better.

Note that there are standards, and that you will have examples of working things. You can then decide what you want to do. Very few engineers start from a totally clean sheet of paper.

Mdhiggenz said:

Thanks

My expectation of a new hire engineer is that they are hands-on. By this, I mean I expect you to have taken apart something yourself and restored it to working order. I ask this question frequently in interviews, because it gets to the heart of what you need to know. You should know enough science and engineering to see how something works, but you will probably not have free reign to do whatever you like to start. Most engineers learn a great deal on the job, under the mentorship of more experienced engineers.

1. What are the key skills needed for a biomedical engineering student to navigate engineering projects?

Some key skills that are important for a biomedical engineering student to navigate engineering projects include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, teamwork, and adaptability. These skills allow students to effectively approach and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner.

2. How can a biomedical engineering student effectively manage their time while working on engineering projects?

To effectively manage time while working on engineering projects, students should prioritize tasks, create a schedule, and break down larger projects into smaller, more manageable tasks. It is also important to set realistic goals and deadlines, and to regularly reassess and adjust the schedule as needed.

3. What are some common challenges that biomedical engineering students may face while working on engineering projects?

Some common challenges that biomedical engineering students may face while working on engineering projects include technical difficulties, budget constraints, time constraints, and communication issues. It is important for students to anticipate these challenges and have a plan in place to address them.

4. How can a biomedical engineering student effectively collaborate with other team members on engineering projects?

To effectively collaborate with other team members on engineering projects, students should establish clear communication channels, delegate tasks based on individual strengths, actively listen and provide constructive feedback, and maintain a positive and professional attitude. It is also important to establish and respect team roles and responsibilities.

5. How can a biomedical engineering student ensure the success of an engineering project?

To ensure the success of an engineering project, students should thoroughly plan and research the project, communicate effectively with team members and stakeholders, regularly evaluate progress and make necessary adjustments, and continuously seek feedback and make improvements. It is also important to stay organized and manage time effectively.