1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question for engineers!

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, right now I am a 3rd year Biomedical engineering student, and I am a bit nervous seeing how a lot of my engineering friends have already started working on projects that involve building things.

This scares me, because I have never really built anything before and want to know if we are just expected to know how to put the laws of physics and just create something out of the blue. Or will we gradually be taught how to create things.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2
    I'm surprised; I'm in my first year and some of my us are already building calculators and clocks out of logic gates as well as race car parts out of solidworks, and a bunch of other things.

Don't they make you build things in your engineering classes?

BiP

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3

fss

You haven't had to do any hands-on work in your engineering degree up to your 3rd year? :-o

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    I actually misspoke i'm a 3rd year college student, and just finished my undergraduate Core curriculum to get accepted into the program, so I start the actual engineering classes next semester.

6. Oct 28, 2012 #5
    Engineering is a state of mind. You create things based upon what you know that works and how it could be made better.

Note that there are standards, and that you will have examples of working things. You can then decide what you want to do. Very few engineers start from a totally clean sheet of paper.

7. Oct 29, 2012 #6
    My expectation of a new hire engineer is that they are hands-on. By this, I mean I expect you to have taken apart something yourself and restored it to working order. I ask this question frequently in interviews, because it gets to the heart of what you need to know. You should know enough science and engineering to see how something works, but you will probably not have free reign to do whatever you like to start. Most engineers learn a great deal on the job, under the mentorship of more experienced engineers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook