Men: How Would You React to Being Contacted Out of the Blue?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the woman would be flattered if contacted out of the blue by a man that she found interesting, but would be creeped out if the man knew too much about her. If the man is a widely known public figure, the woman would probably be more creeped out.

How would you feel about a woman e-mailing you with no prior contact?

• She must be crazy

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I would be flattered

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Depends on what she looks like

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Depends on her personality

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
Gale said:
Is this the guy?

mb.deutsch1024.jpg

I think you can do better Evo.
Better? I think not. He seems to be a very nice person. He's obviously intelligent, and he's exactly my type physically. Of course I really know nothing about him personally, that's what makes it a bit weird, IMO. But it's better than just seeing someone in real life and feeling attracted enough to approach them, I have the advantage of knowing a bit about him.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I think you should not molest this person. Go be with Wolram: he will cherish you like no one else on earth.
I'm afraid you're not safe either zoob.

RetardedBastard said:
LOL! Nahhh. What made you think that?
You just seem young at heart and your name would be one that a younger person would more likely select.

Hey if it helps, just consider that in one of the many-world states, he could ALREADY be your boyfriend :)
<sigh> That always happens. :frown:

I know his lab assistant,
JACKPOT! Is he married? Deustch, not the assistant.

I just don't want to introduce him to some random crazy stalker chick. (just kidding)
I can get affidavits from some notable people. :uhh:

p.s. Definitely post any email you plan to send him here first so we can analyze it first.
Ugh, I have no idea what I would write. "Hi, this will probably be the strangest e-mail you'll ever get..." Should I use lots of smilies in my e-mail? :biggrin:

if he was going 'with' someone, would you 'try' to break it up?

Evo said:
JACKPOT! Is he married? Deustch, not the assistant.

He doesn't appear to be wearing a ring in the picture. But of course he could be married and not wear a ring or be in a long term relationship. I do not know.

Kurdt said:
He doesn't appear to be wearing a ring in the picture. But of course he could be married and not wear a ring or be in a long term relationship. I do not know.

Or he's one of those people who wears the ring on the right hand instead of left. Maybe that's why he's keeping a glove on his right hand, so you can't see the ring? If he would just comb his hair or get a haircut, he'd probably look a whole lot better. Unkempt hair can really distract from someone's looks.

rewebster said:
if he was going 'with' someone, would you 'try' to break it up?
No, I wouldn't even consider something like that.

But we're kind of jumping the gun here since I don't even know if he'd be interested in talking to me. I'm betting he wouldn't see the point in doing so.

I don't think I am----(didn't 'you' look just about as 'happy' on those (cropped) photos as he does there) ---its just a 'possibility'

I was thinking that no one knows anything about his 'life' (love life)--no photo of his wife (or ex-wives), no social gossip of and with women (usually that's from women)---no men have answered you for help contacting him (maybe they're hesitant for some reason)

I don't think I'm insinuating (maybe just observing the possibility of the 'collapse of the wave function')

Last edited:
The only thing I've read about him is that he's reclusive. He seems to be a very private person, which leads me to believe that I really have no chance.

But when you see him giving lectures or speeches, he's very animated and humorous.

Take this speech, for example http://www.ted.com/index.php/speakers/view/id/48

Click on "David Deutsch on our place in the cosmos" at the top left.

Moonbear said:
If he would just comb his hair or get a haircut, he'd probably look a whole lot better. Unkempt hair can really distract from someone's looks.
NOOOO! If you remember the description of my dream man - skinny, glasses, tousled hair, his hair is one of the features I find attractive, I don't care for short, styled hair. A bit long and unruly is hot.

:approve:

Last edited:
Evo said:
Yes, when I decide to consider the unobtainable, I go all out.

hey--all I'm saying is that you may have it right (at least for a woman)

Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster said:
hey--all I'm saying is that you may have it right (at least for a woman)
:cry: Don't burst my bubble just yet.

Last edited:
Ok, who would like me to stalk them? I've got to find something to take my mind off the pain. My stalking is limited to online only.

Evo said:
Ok, who would like me to stalk them? I've got to find something to take my mind off the pain. My stalking is limited to online only.

who else did you have in mind?

I'm open to requests. Of course, they'll have to listen to me whine. Nothing comes free.

Evo said:
I'm open to requests. Of course, they'll have to listen to me whine. Nothing comes free.

be up front with it----

tell them that 'cheese' is available too

It's a trap!

Thrice said:
It's a trap!
Sshhhhh!

I need someone to listen to me whine

:uhh:

Evo said:
So, you think it's more acceptable to older people than to young people?

Of course young people have facebook and myspace, and many other similar online places where they can harmlessly contact each other. Us "old" folks are left to our own devices.

Everyone my age at work is married, gay or young Earth creationists. I'm too old to be cruising bars. I'm too young to be put in a retirement home.

I can sit at home and twiddle my thumbs, or take a chance.

Yes, I am saying it might be more acceptable to older people. For someone in my generation to be contacted out of the clear blue by a strange woman I have never met with a picture and a letter would instantly trigger thoughts of crazy stalkers. This is possibly a symptom of growing up in a society where all strangers are labeled as evildoers.

I did not, however, say there was anything wrong with you doing this. In fact, I would encourage you to go through with it. You have everyone here supporting you, why aren't you taking the chance already?

Evo said:
Sshhhhh!

I need someone to listen to me whine

:uhh:

you had better use that 'sticky' board then

----------------------------

why did "Of Mice and Men" come to mind?---

Last edited:
SticksandStones said:
I did not, however, say there was anything wrong with you doing this. In fact, I would encourage you to go through with it. You have everyone here supporting you, why aren't you taking the chance already?
Because so many have now gotten me to think I'd be some kind of psycho if I did. :frown:

I guess if I worded the question as Mathwonk put it "should i email a guy I think is handsome and interesting?" it would have come across differently.

Last edited:
Ok, should I e-mail a guy I think is handsome and interesting?

Evo said:

insert: 'recent nike slogan'

Evo said:
Because so many have now gotten me to think I'd be some kind of psycho if I did. :frown:
Oh c'mon, Look at the poll—7 negative, and I'm sure we don't have to worry about your looks and personality.

should I e-mail a guy I think is handsome and interesting?
Yes!

rewebster said:
insert: 'recent nike slogan'
Well this is par for a crush. I once had something like this running for 4 years. You may wish to change your sig first, Evo.

Evo said:

Yes :approve:

Mk said:
Oh c'mon, Look at the poll—7 negative, and I'm sure we don't have to worry about your looks and personality.

Yes!
Should I send him the poll results? :tongue: Less than half of the men surveyed say I'm crazy to be e-mailing you.

Thrice said:
Well this is par for a crush. I once had something like this running for 4 years. You may wish to change your sig first, Evo.
Nix on the ice weasels, eh?

Evo said:
Should I send him the poll results? :tongue: Less than half of the men surveyed say I'm crazy to be e-mailing you.

well, you never know, all the 'other' voters could have voted the way they did just to not make you feel bad, too

------

how's that arm (and the rest of you) feeling today?

Last edited:
Email him Evo. Really, I think you should. Ask him a few things about his work, or I saw one interview where he lists a bunch of pop sci books he likes. You could read one of those and make a comment about it. Then ask something a little more personal, so you can hopefully diverge from just talking about his work. Just send an email that's engaging, so he'll want to respond. Be a little bit funny, and don't send a picture yet. Just do it.

Evo said:
Nix on the ice weasels, eh?
Well no one likes to be reminded.

Gale said:
Email him Evo. Really, I think you should. Ask him a few things about his work, or I saw one interview where he lists a bunch of pop sci books he likes. You could read one of those and make a comment about it. Then ask something a little more personal, so you can hopefully diverge from just talking about his work. Just send an email that's engaging, so he'll want to respond. Be a little bit funny, and don't send a picture yet. Just do it.
And risk him thinking she's crazy? Are you crazy? What if he doesn't respond? What if he does & registers on PF & they hit it off & he decides to come visit but there are terrorists on the plane & he dies & she's responsible for the loss of such a brilliant man? Does she want that on her head? How will she live through the ice weasels? I'm not sure I could.

Thrice said:
And risk him thinking she's crazy? Are you crazy? What if he doesn't respond? What if he does & registers on PF & they hit it off & he decides to come visit but there are terrorists on the plane & he dies & she's responsible for the loss of such a brilliant man? Does she want that on her head? How will she live through the ice weasels? I'm not sure I could.

Thrice said:

all good points

-----------------------------

I see that 'this' thread has generated a new thread:

"scientists and mental problems"

Last edited: