1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question for sliding object

Tags:
  1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Object B with mass m is sliding on an object A with mass M. Object A is being pulled by a string with acceleration A. There is no friction. (Picture Uploaded)

1) Find the maximum value of A that allows m to stay on M (sliding)
    2) Find the x and y value of the acceleration of object B
    3) In this case, what is the value of the force T (the force that is pulling Object A)
    4) Find the value of the normal force F that is acting on object A.
    5) As an alternate version of this question, suppose that force T was given instead of acceleration A.

2. Relevant equations

Newton's Law; F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

1) In the case of object B, there are three forces; the normal force N, mg and inertia mA
    setting a new coordinate with X and Y where Y is perpendicular to the hypotenuse and X perpendicular to Y, I showed that acceleration in Y direction must equal 0 and the A in this case is the A for 1). The answer I got was (mgcosθ-N)/msinθ

2) Using the coordinate and the forces from 1), I figured out that X direction of the acceleration equals mAcosθ+mgcosθ. The angle between X and x is θ, so x direction would be -(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)cosθ, and y direction would be -(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)sinθ

3) Because there is only one force given from the outside, which is T, T=∑ma for a in the x direction.
    T=-(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)cosθ+MA

4) Normal force equals the force acting on the surface which is object B's force in the y direction
    F=(mAcosθ+mgsinθ)sinθ
    5) This would be a simple change, just writing the answer from 3) like A= f(T)

Overall I have tried to solve all these and came up with answers. But I'm not sure if they are correct.
    If someone could check them I would be grateful.

Attached Files:

• Qs1.png
      Qs1.png
      File size:
      16.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can simplify that further.

Hint: If object B is "only just" in contact with A (eg it's just about to leave the surface) what is the value of N ?

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is rather confusing because A is being used both as the label on an object and as an acceleration. I assume you mean an inertial force ma, where a is the acceleration of A.
    Looks like you are using a noninertial frame here. It would help if you were to state that at the start.

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once simplified the answer just looks more obviously correct :-)

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Then N=0 so A=g/tanθ?

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks right to me.

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and me.

9. Feb 1, 2016 #8
    How about the rest? Are they correct as well?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted