What is the Best Solid State Book for Graduate Level Study?

• Thread starter plxmny
  • Start date
In summary, when asked for the best graduate level solid state book, the respondents recommend Ashcroft & Mermin's Solid-State Physics and Kittel's Introduction to Solid-State Physics. They suggest starting with Kittel to learn the concepts and then moving on to Ashcroft & Mermin for a deeper understanding. It is noted that the eighth edition of Kittel has typos, so the seventh edition may be a better option. Another suggestion is the Solid state physics book from the Manchester series.
plxmny
Hi Guys,

I use this forum when I want to speak directly to the experts and not mess with
the rabble.

What is the best graduate level solid state book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but Forum Feedback is for questions about the forum. Also, you are not likely to get an answer there.

In my opinion, the best, albeit somewhat dated, graduate-level solid-state textbook is Ashcroft & Mermin's Solid-State Physics. Kittel's Introduction to Solid-State Physics is more elementary and more up-to-date, but it is also less general (most analyses are in 1D, whereas Ashcroft & Mermin perform most analyses in 3D), and has less depth (some topics that Ashcroft & Mermin analyze quantitatively in a chapter are briefly described qualitatively in a page or less).

I personally would recommend first reading Kittel to learn the concepts, then reading Ashcroft & Mermin to bring your understanding of the concepts up to the graduate level. Both books will require careful reading in order to learn the material--I used to hate Kittel until I read it carefully for a solid-state course last semester, whereupon I came to appreciate how pedagogical his presentation is. Finally, be aware that the most recent (eighth) edition of Kittel has typos that are not in the previous (seventh) edition.

I believe that the Solid state physics book from the Manchester series might also be a great book. I have not read it myself, but I've read other books from the series and they have been great.

Ok I will go with both (Aschcroft and Mermin) and Kittel 7th edition.

Thanks, dudes

plxmny said:
Hi Guys,

I use this forum when I want to speak directly to the experts and not mess with
the rabble.

What is the best graduate level solid state book?
If ever an opening post was not worthy of a reply :rolleyes:

1. What is the purpose of "Question for the experts"?

The purpose of "Question for the experts" is to provide a platform for individuals to ask questions and receive answers from experts in a specific field or topic.

2. How do I submit a question for the experts?

To submit a question for the experts, you can usually find a form or submission page on the website or platform that hosts the Q&A session. You can also reach out to the moderator or organizer of the event to inquire about submitting a question.

3. Are all questions submitted to the experts answered?

No, not all questions submitted to the experts may be answered. This depends on the number of questions submitted and the time constraints of the event. However, moderators or organizers typically try to select a variety of questions to be answered to provide a diverse range of information.

4. Can anyone be considered an "expert" for the Q&A session?

It depends on the specific guidelines set by the event or platform. Usually, an expert is someone who has extensive knowledge and experience in a particular field or topic and can provide valuable insights and information to the audience.

5. What should I do if I have multiple questions for the experts?

If you have multiple questions for the experts, it is best to prioritize and only submit your most pressing or relevant questions. This ensures that your questions have a higher chance of being selected and answered during the Q&A session.