Question for the old members of the forum

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether any important mathematical results have been discovered through discussions in the forum. The responses highlight that the forum is more useful for reinforcing basic mathematical concepts and for learning new things, rather than for discovering new mathematical theorems. Some members also mention the value of teaching and explaining math to others in the forum. Overall, the forum is seen as a valuable resource for keeping the brain active and for engaging in interesting discussions about math.
C0nfused
Question for the "old" members of the forum

Hi everybody,
This is a question mostly for the older members of the forums or anynone who knows. I was wondering if any important mathematical result has been firstly posted here, or if there is anything interesting that has come up through the discussions in the math forums. Of course, I don't impy that most discussions/questions here are unimportant/uninteresting but I am talking about results that could even be published.
I am just curious about the "history" of these math foums!

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As a mathematician I have found the math questions mostly rather basic, almost always sounding like homework. The physics and astronomy sections seem to have more meat to them - even wild theories, although highly unlikely to prove valid.

If you're looking for new math discoveries, as in new theorems and such, you won't find any here, even in the physics/atsro sections. I doubt a scientist would risk his work for many years by posting such a result online before publishing it. However, there are some very interesting and fascinating things found both in the physics sections as well as the mathematics sections, of course it depends on what you're level of math/physics is.

Thanks for your answers. Ok, first of all, I maybe exaggerated a bit by saying "results that could even be published"! I actually wanted to say: interesting results that were produced during a discussion or a question. Of course a scientist that has found something new wouldn't post it in a forum! In other words, my question is about the most "glorious discussion" that has ever taken place here in these forums. Anyway, it is not a serious question after all...just curious about the forums that I tend to spend much time lately!

I've found this forum not useful for discovering entirely new mathematics but rather keeping your elementary mathematics in check, help with mathematics you are learning and a way to push at the edge of knowledge of other mathematics you may be learning.

well i have learned things here, so to me they were new.

e.g. the gentleman who pointed out to me that the ratio of the area of a sphere to its volume was the same as for a circumscribed cube taught me something, and soon I realized I knew how to compute the 4 dimensional volume of a 4-sphere as easily as I can do the 3 dimensional volume of a 3 sphere.

for some reason i had never realized this obvious fact in over 35 years of teaching calculus. actually i had never tried, being sort of intimidated by imagining 4 dimensions i guess.

but any student who understands how to calculate the volume of a sphere from integration, knowing the area of a circle, should also be able to do it in any dimension.

of course no one who merely memorized the volume formula can do anything along these lines at all, I expect, another reason why we teach the way we do, i.e. not for memorizing formulas.

Last edited:
Don't forget the "Booda Theorem," at my website below.

that theorem states it was proved in 1976; what manner of time machine do you have?

i have certianly seen "new things" here, but maths is so diverse that isn't surprising.

mainly i use it to keep my brain active when i get stuck in my own work. keeps me remembering things i would otherwise never think of again. it's also prompted me to learn some basic things i hadn't previously dealt with.

i also like the chance to try to communicate math to other people, and answer people's questions. for example, matt and i just posted some brief introductory remarks on category theory in answer to a question from a physicist, haelfix I believe.

I have also written many words on tensors.

I sometimes wonder if these little expositions are read much though. but i am apparently just genetically inclined to teach math.

also i like it here because i like questions, and i get more sincere questions here in a month than i get from a class in a year.

Well I read your explanations mathwonk, and I think they're great.
I rarely post, but I read this forum all the time.

1. Why is it important to ask questions to old members of the forum?

Asking questions to old members of the forum can provide valuable insights and knowledge about the forum's history, rules, and culture. They can also offer advice and tips on how to navigate and contribute to the forum effectively.

2. How can old members of the forum help new members?

Old members of the forum can help new members by sharing their experiences and expertise, answering questions, and providing guidance. They can also provide a sense of community and support to new members.

3. What should I ask the old members of the forum?

You can ask old members of the forum about their favorite memories or moments on the forum, their tips for making the most out of the forum, and any insights they have on the forum's culture and dynamics.

4. How can I approach old members of the forum to ask questions?

You can approach old members of the forum by sending a private message or tagging them in a post with your question. Make sure to be respectful and considerate in your approach.

5. Can old members of the forum provide reliable information?

Yes, old members of the forum can provide reliable information based on their experiences and knowledge. However, it's always important to fact-check and gather information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.