Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question for the spanning set

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    support that p is in M and M=span{v,w},that means p=av+bw, right?
    then, could either a or b be zero?

regarded to this following problem:
    Is is possible that {[1 2 0]^T,[2 0 3]^T} can span the subspace U={[r s 0]^T / r and s in R}?

I thought if s=2r and the scalar for [2 0 3]^T could be zero, it might be possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

U is a two dimensional vector space so [r 2r 0]^T is only a one dimemsional subspace of it. [1 2 0]^T spans that subspace of U but not U.

The question is, "suppose [r s 0]^T is a general vector in U. Do there exist numbers x, y such that [r s 0]^T= x[1 2 0]^T+ y[2 0 3]^T?" If so then we would have [r s 0]^T= [x 2x 0]^T+ [2y 0 3y]= [x+ 2y 2x 3y]. The means we must have r= x+ 2y, s= 2x, 0= 3y. From the last equation, obviously y= 0. But then we r= x, s= 2x. Since r and s can be any two real numbers, there does not exist a number x satifying both equations.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    I see, thx.
    how about my first question, I would still like to know the answer to that:
    support that p is in M and M=span{v,w},that means p=av+bw, right?
    then, could either a or b be zero?

Also, I have just seen a problem that asks for a spanning set for the zero subspace {0} of R^n.
    Then, I let [0 0 0 0]^T be the zero subspace of R^4, so is this a spanning set for that zero subspace:
    span{[0 0 0 0] [0 0 0 0] [0 0 0 0] [0 0 0 0]}

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. Feb 16, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5
    thx.
    I am sorry that I have got a more problem right away. Could you help again?

Do you know how to determine if a set of some given vectors in R^n can span R^n?
    regarded to this question:

Determine if the following given vectors span R^4.
    {[1 3 -5 0] [-2 1 0 0] [0 2 1 -1] [1 -4 5 0]}.

I thought they could because I seem to be able to reduce the matrix with these vectors as columns into an identity matrix. But the answer in the book says they can't. I was getting confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook