Question for voltage reduction

In summary, the individual is seeking help in reducing the lowest potential of their microprocessor module to be below 1.15 volts in order for it to function properly. They have tried using a diode and resistor, but it did not work. Suggestions were given to use a potential divider with appropriate resistors to achieve the desired outcome. It was also noted that the current drawn from the source should be taken into consideration when selecting the resistors.
rollyasilo
i have a module with microprocessor of 1.15volt sense level. when the potential is above this value it registers high and below it registers low. however the potential from the source varies from 1.3volts to 4.8volts only.nothing less than 1.15volts so all registers are high.

anybody can help me reduced the lowest potential to be less than 1.15volts so this device will work. i used this device for pulse counting from a solid state digital output.

any idea?

rolly

Physics news on Phys.org
A simpler method may be to reduce the input voltage by using a potential divider. Or would that interfere with your counting process?

~H

Last edited:
I have tried with diode 1N40001 to reduced the lowest and highest potential by 0.7volt but it did'nt work at all. I've tried with resistor but it reduced the higher potential only and lowest potential still the same.

anybody can help me resolved this matter.

rolly

rollyasilo said:
I've tried with resistor but it reduced the higher potential only and lowest potential still the same.

I thought you needed only a potential difference of 1.15 V ?

A voltage divider might do the trick as Hootenanny suggest. You need to select resitors [itex]R1, R2[/itex] such that the current drawn from the source, [itex]I[/itex], is appropiate to its specs (too small a series resistance will drain the source).
[tex]I=\frac{V_{in}}{R1+R2}[/tex]
The output voltage will then be
[tex]V_{out}=I R2[/tex]
resulting in
[tex]V_{out}=\frac{R2}{R1+R2}V_{in}[/tex]

Note that the effective [itex]R2[/itex] resistance might be altered by connecting your module to the voltage divider circuit.

Last edited:

1. What is voltage reduction and why is it important in electrical circuits?

Voltage reduction is the process of decreasing the amount of electrical potential energy in a circuit. This is important because it allows for safer and more efficient use of electricity, as high voltages can be dangerous and cause damage to equipment.

2. How is voltage reduction achieved in a circuit?

Voltage reduction can be achieved through the use of resistors, transformers, or voltage regulators. Resistors limit the flow of current, which in turn reduces the voltage. Transformers use electromagnetic induction to change the voltage level, while voltage regulators maintain a constant output voltage regardless of input voltage changes.

3. What are the common methods for measuring voltage reduction?

The most common method for measuring voltage reduction is using a voltmeter. This device measures the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. Other methods include using an oscilloscope, which displays the voltage as a waveform, or using a multimeter, which can measure voltage, current, and resistance.

4. What are the safety considerations for working with voltage reduction?

Working with voltage reduction can be dangerous, as high voltages can cause electric shock or other injuries. It is important to always follow safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear and de-energizing circuits before working on them. It is also important to properly calculate and use the correct components for voltage reduction to avoid overloading the circuit.

5. Can voltage reduction affect the performance of electronic devices?

Yes, voltage reduction can affect the performance of electronic devices. If the voltage is too low, the device may not function properly or at all. On the other hand, if the voltage is too high, it can cause damage to the device. It is important to use the correct voltage for each device to ensure optimal performance and prevent damage.