How Does Friction Occur If Atoms Never Truly Touch?

• Thread starter JP84CE1
  • Start date
In summary: In the case of atoms, there is no classical friction because electrons do not have well-defined orbits. In quantum mechanics, the electrons are described as a probability distribution, so the concept of them "touching" is not applicable. However, the interactions between them still result in the generation of heat, which we perceive as friction.
JP84CE1
It is said that solid pieces of matter can never actually "touch", because the electrons in orbit around the nucleus of atoms will repel each other.

my question is, what then accounts for friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
JP84CE1 said:
It is said that solid pieces of matter can never actually "touch", because the electrons in orbit around the nucleus of atoms will repel each other.

Sounds like I'm a "non-physicist" in this response, toooooo, but your "because the electrons in orbit around the nucleus of atoms will repel each other." sounds more like a philosophical question to me.... ummmmmmmmm, have you seen steel against steel? think they're "touching"... ummmm, rubber against concrete... think they're touching? if EVERY electron "repelled" every other electron, then the cell phone would slide off the desk, as would your coffee or soft drink...., so because these items DO IN FACT "touch', slike them, and there's friction.

Now if I had a super electro microscope, I could see WHAT was touching WHAT to make that friction, but, well, I'm going in circles.

Ever hold your finger against a spinning wood piece on a lather? or hold your finger tight on a bicycle wheel tire while somebody cranks it? You are TOUCHING it, your muscles HOLDS it there, and hoping that the electrons will REPEL you will STILL get you burned.

Yes, I agree, we need a REAL scientist to answer this one.

LarryR : )

JP84CE1 said:

Friction is also due to those electromagnetic forces because they do not let macroscopic objects pass trough one another. At a macroscopic scale the surfaces of materials look smooth but when you zoom in those surfaces are very rough. Something like ___/^|_____/^|____/^|_/\__/^\__ . If you put two such surfaces together the imperfections in the surface (asperities) will touch one another.When you try to move the two surfaces all the imperfections on a surface apply a force on the imperfections on the other surface and by the third law the other will apply a equal opposite force on them.The coefficient of friction of a material is mostly determined by the imperfections on the surface.You must realize that the asperities are extremely large in comparison with atoms. So you can think of the forces between the imperfections in a very 'Newtonian mechanics way' but the origin of the forces is ultimately electromagnetic(the repulsion of charges).
Here you can find a lot about friction.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/fricon.html

JP84CE1 said:

We do not yet have a rigorous theory of friction- we have only phenomenological theories. Friction is currently modeled as a dissipative process that generates heat; that's really as far as we can currently go.

Thank you for your question. I can provide an explanation for the concept of "touch" and how it relates to friction.

Firstly, it is true that according to the laws of physics, solid pieces of matter cannot truly touch each other. This is because of the repulsion between the negatively charged electrons surrounding the positively charged nuclei of atoms. This repulsion prevents the atoms from coming into direct contact with each other.

So why do we perceive objects as touching each other? This is due to the electromagnetic force between atoms. This force acts at a very small scale and is responsible for the stability of matter. It is what keeps atoms and molecules together to form solid objects. When objects come into close proximity, the electrons in their outermost energy levels repel each other, creating a force that stops the objects from passing through each other. This is what we perceive as "touch."

Now, let's discuss friction. Friction is a force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces of objects. When two objects are in contact, these irregularities interlock with each other, creating friction. The strength of this force depends on the type of surface and the amount of force applied.

So, while the atoms of objects may not actually touch each other, the electromagnetic force between them creates the perception of touch, and the irregularities in their surfaces create the force of friction.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of "touch" and its relationship to friction.

1. What is the field of physics?

Physics is a natural science that studies the fundamental principles of matter, energy, space, and time. It seeks to understand the behavior of the physical universe through observation, experimentation, and mathematical analysis.

2. How does physics relate to other sciences?

Physics is considered to be the most fundamental of all the sciences, as it provides the foundation for all other sciences. For example, chemistry is based on the principles of physics, and biology is based on the principles of chemistry. Physics also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and geology.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it only deals with abstract concepts and does not have any practical applications. In reality, physics has many practical applications and is used in various fields, including technology, medicine, and energy production. Another misconception is that physics is only for geniuses and is too difficult for the average person to understand. While physics can be challenging, it is accessible to anyone with an interest in learning about the natural world.

4. What are some current areas of research in physics?

Some current areas of research in physics include quantum mechanics, particle physics, astrophysics, and materials science. Scientists are also studying topics such as dark matter and dark energy, the origins of the universe, and the properties of subatomic particles. There is also ongoing research in developing more efficient and sustainable energy sources.

5. How can someone without a background in physics learn more about the subject?

There are many resources available for someone without a background in physics to learn more about the subject. These include books, online courses, and educational videos. Attending public lectures or participating in science outreach programs can also be helpful. It's important to start with the basics and gradually build upon your understanding, as physics can be a complex and challenging subject.