1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question: Fuel Cell Thermodynamic Equations

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    I'm an undergrad working on fuel cells for a project and I have been using a book to aid me. There are several equations in the book that were not explained properly so I was hoping someone on this forum could help identify how they were derived.

The first 2 is related to the pressure within the system of the fuel cell. Hydrogen is pumped in 1 end and air in the other and their partial pressure is found using these formulas:

[tex]p_{H2}=0.5*\frac{P_{H2}}{exp(1.653*i/T^{1.334})}-P_{H2O}[/tex]

[tex]p_{O2}=\frac{P_{air}}{exp(4.192*i/T^{1.334})}-P_{H2O}[/tex]

From what I gather, this appears to be Dalton's Law but I am not sure how did the numbers 1.653, 4.192 and 1.334 pop out from.

The next one is water diffusivity which the author defined as:
    [tex]D_{\lambda}=10^{-6}exp(2416(\frac{1}{303}-\frac{1}{353}))*2.563-0.33*10+0.0264*10^{2}-0.000671*10^{3}[/tex]

For this one I am not sure what is the significance of 10 in this equation such that is appears 3 times in the equation without being simplified into a constant.

I'm studying electrical engineering so when it comes to thermodynamics this is way pass me. I hope someone on this forum will be able to help out.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted