Solve Q: Evaluate h(1) & h'(1)

• Thread starter camboguy
  • Start date
In summary, to find h(1), we plug in 1 for x in h(x)= f(x+1), giving us f(2). To find h'(1), we use the chain rule to get h'(x)= f '(x+1), and since the tangent line at (2, f(2)) has a slope of 3, we know that f '(2)= 3 and therefore h'(1)= f '(2)= 3.
camboguy
ok iv tried this like 2 times and I am still not geting it

Q> suppose that h(x)=f(x+1) and that the line tangent to the graph of f at the point (2,f(2)) is described by the equation y = 3x-4.

a) evaluate h(1)
b) evaluate h'(1)

heres what i know and did.

i under stand that for h(1) i just plug in 1 for h(x) = f(x+1) and get f(2)

but for h'(1) I am so posed to find the slope at h(1) and so i figured that since y=3x-4 is the tangent line that touches h(x)=f(x+1) at the points (2,f(2)), the functions are equal and have the same (x,y) and so i was trying to find the slope but I am not sure what my cord nets are to do the change in y over change in x, and the point that I am so posed to use to find the derivative of h(1)

Physics news on Phys.org
camboguy said:
ok iv tried this like 2 times and I am still not geting it

Q> suppose that h(x)=f(x+1) and that the line tangent to the graph of f at the point (2,f(2)) is described by the equation y = 3x-4.

a) evaluate h(1)
b) evaluate h'(1)

heres what i know and did.

i under stand that for h(1) i just plug in 1 for h(x) = f(x+1) and get f(2)

but for h'(1) I am so posed to find the slope at h(1) and so i figured that since y=3x-4 is the tangent line that touches h(x)=f(x+1) at the points (2,f(2)), the functions are equal and have the same (x,y) and so i was trying to find the slope but I am not sure what my cord nets are to do the change in y over change in x, and the point that I am so posed to use to find the derivative of h(1)

Okay, h(x)= f(x+1) so h(1)= f(1+1)= f(2). You also know, by the chain rule, that h'(x)= f '(x+1) since the derivative of x+ 1 is 1.

You are told that the tangent line to y= f(x) at (2, f(2)) is given by y= 3x-4. Of course, the tangent line passes through the point. y= 3(2)- 4= 2 so (2, f(2)) must be (2,2). h(1)= f(2)= 2. Also the slope of the tangent line, 3, is the derivative at that point so f '(2)= 3 and then h'(1)= f '(2)= 3.

1. What does "h(1)" mean?

"h(1)" refers to the value of the function h at the input of 1. It is also known as the function's output when the input is 1.

2. What does "h'(1)" mean?

"h'(1)" refers to the derivative of the function h at the point 1. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the graph of h at x = 1.

3. How do I solve for h(1)?

To solve for h(1), you need to know the equation or definition of the function h. Once you have the equation, simply plug in 1 for the input and solve the equation to find the output, which is h(1).

4. How do I find the derivative h'(1)?

To find the derivative h'(1), you will need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or chain rule. If you are given the equation of h, you can find the derivative by taking the derivative of each term and then plugging in 1 for the input.

5. Why is it important to evaluate h(1) and h'(1)?

Evaluating h(1) and h'(1) allows you to understand the behavior of the function h at the specific point of x = 1. It can also help you find the slope of the tangent line at x = 1, which can be useful in solving real-world problems involving rates of change. Additionally, knowing the value of h(1) and h'(1) can help you determine if the function is continuous and differentiable at x = 1.