Question I hope you can help

• Thread starter lespaul5895
  • Start date
In summary: Amps, watts, volts, and ohms are all measures of power. The abbreviation for amps is "A." The abbreviation for watts is "W." The abbreviation for volts is "V." The abbreviation for ohms is "O."
lespaul5895
Right now I'm a first year electrical engineering student at Purdue University. I have a problem that I have to do for a homework assignment I read the entire chapter and cannot find out how to do this problem. Any help would be appreciated, if this isn't the right place to ask this question just let me know and if not I would appreciate any information on how I could find help.

A 100 watt light bulb dissipates 100 joules of energy per coulomb of charge. Find its voltage drop.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
call me dense but I don't see the relationship there, I don't see how those equations relate to the problem given. Most of those deal with current and resistance, please explain. sorry I'm kinda slow when it comes to learning stuff and I want to make sure I fully understand this.

edit: So what you're saying is that 1Watt = J/C? so the equation would read 100w = 100J/1C = 100V?

Last edited:
I was showing that 1 V = 1 J/C and so 100 V = 100 J/C.

Now, 1 W = 1 J/s, and if 100 W dissipates 100 J/C, that implies (100 W)/(100 J/C) = (100 J/s)/(100 J/C) = 1 C/s = 1 A.

So for a 100 W light bulb to dissipate 100 J/C, the voltage drop is 100 V, and the current is 1 A.

See also - http://science.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm
What are amps, watts, volts and ohms?

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to investigate and understand phenomena in the natural world. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. How do you design a good experiment?

A good experiment should have a clear objective, a control group, independent and dependent variables, and a large enough sample size. It should also be repeatable and have a well-defined procedure to eliminate any bias.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through experiments. A theory is a well-established explanation supported by a large body of evidence and has withstood rigorous testing.

4. Can a scientific theory ever be proven?

No, a scientific theory can never be proven beyond a doubt. It can only be supported by evidence, and as new evidence is discovered, the theory may be modified or even replaced.

5. How does peer review contribute to the scientific process?

Peer review is a process in which experts in a particular field evaluate and critique a research paper before it is published. This helps to ensure the quality and validity of the research and allows for any errors or flaws to be identified and corrected before publication.