Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question I hope you can help

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    Right now I'm a first year electrical engineering student at Purdue University. I have a problem that I have to do for a homework assignment I read the entire chapter and cannot find out how to do this problem. Any help would be appreciated, if this isn't the right place to ask this question just let me know and if not I would appreciate any information on how I could find help.

A 100 watt light bulb dissipates 100 joules of energy per coulomb of charge. Find its voltage drop.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3
    call me dense but I don't see the relationship there, I don't see how those equations relate to the problem given. Most of those deal with current and resistance, please explain. sorry I'm kinda slow when it comes to learning stuff and I want to make sure I fully understand this.

edit: So what you're saying is that 1Watt = J/C? so the equation would read 100w = 100J/1C = 100V?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  5. Aug 27, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was showing that 1 V = 1 J/C and so 100 V = 100 J/C.

Now, 1 W = 1 J/s, and if 100 W dissipates 100 J/C, that implies (100 W)/(100 J/C) = (100 J/s)/(100 J/C) = 1 C/s = 1 A.

So for a 100 W light bulb to dissipate 100 J/C, the voltage drop is 100 V, and the current is 1 A.

See also - http://science.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm
    What are amps, watts, volts and ohms?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?