1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question in 4-vectors.

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello everyone, thanks for reading.
    This might be a little more math than physics (don't run away though!), but it's an excercise on my General relativity text :)
    I need to prove that there exists an analog formula, like a*b = abcos(theta) for 3-vectors, only for 4-vectors, in which:
    a*b = abcosh(theta), where a and b are 4-vectors, a and b are defined: a = (-a*a)^-0.5, b = (-b*b)^-0.5, and theta is a parameter that describes lorenz boost between the frame where an observer whose world line points along a is at rest and the frame where an observer whose world line points along b is at rest.
    I have no idea how to work with this theta :-\

Thanks!

p.s. a and b are time-like 4 vectors.

2. Relevant equations

a*b = -a0*b0 + a1*b1 + a2*b2 = a3*b3

3. The attempt at a solution

I just tried to look for examples in the book and work with the definition... But I got nowhere :-\

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cosmic_tears! :smile:

(btw, its ^1/2, not ^-1/2)

Let's rephrase the question:

For every two timelike 4-vectors a and b, you know how to make the dot-product a.b.

Since they are timelike, there will be two observers with velocities for which a and b, respectively, are at rest.

Let their relative speed be v.

Find a.b as an expression in a b and v, show how the v part can be written as cosh of something, and explain why that's an advantage. :smile:

4. Jun 15, 2008 #3
    Thank you very very much!
    It's done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?