What is the composition of the universe according to WMAP?

• Thread starter icarus2
  • Start date
In summary, the WMAP study found that 4.6% of the energy density in the universe is from ordinary matter, 23.3% is from dark matter, and 72.1% is from dark energy. The M_ord is effectively only rest mass energy, as the kinetic energy component of normal matter is negligible in today's universe. In earlier universes, the kinetic energy must be taken into account. Gravitational potential energy is not used in the formulation of GR used in these calculations.
icarus2
In a WMAP
Matter(4.6) / Dark matter(23.3) / Dark Energy(72.1)

100= M_ord(4.6) + M_dark(23.3) + DE(72.1)

The M_ord is Mc^2 ?
Matter part is only rest mass energy?

M_ord ? mc^2 + gravitational potential energy
M_ord ? mc^2

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
icarus2 said:
In a WMAP
Matter(4.6) / Dark matter(23.3) / Dark Energy(72.1)

100= M_ord(4.6) + M_dark(23.3) + DE(72.1)

The M_ord is Mc^2 ?
Matter part is only rest mass energy?

M_ord ? mc^2 + gravitational potential energy
M_ord ? mc^2
It's difficult to know what you're asking here, but yes, he matter part is effectively only rest mass energy: the kinetic energy component of normal matter is, today, such a minuscule fraction of its energy density that it might as well be neglected.

In the earlier universe, of course, the kinetic energy had to be taken into account.

Also, in the formulation of GR that is used in these calculations, gravitational potential energy is not used.

Thanks Chalnoth!

I'm sorry, I can't English well.
So, my question is short!

Again, I'm sorry.

But I get the answer in your answer.

I really appreciate you!

--- Icarus2

1. What is a WMAP?

A WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe) is a satellite launched by NASA in 2001 to map and study the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the Big Bang.

2. How does WMAP collect data?

WMAP collects data by scanning the entire sky in 5 different microwave frequencies. It uses a differential microwave radiometer to measure the temperature of the radiation coming from different parts of the sky.

3. What is the significance of WMAP's data?

The data collected by WMAP has helped scientists confirm that the universe is 13.8 billion years old, determine the composition of the universe, and provide evidence for the inflation theory of the early universe.

4. How does WMAP contribute to our understanding of the universe?

WMAP has provided the most detailed and accurate map of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which has allowed scientists to study the early universe and make important discoveries about its age, structure, and composition.

5. What are some future missions or projects related to WMAP?

The successor to WMAP is the Planck satellite, launched by the European Space Agency in 2009. It is expected to provide even more precise data on the cosmic microwave background radiation and further advance our understanding of the universe.