Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question in advanced functions.

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    Hi, i'm taking calculus this sem, and i have a question on stuff pre calculus.

If x and y are natural numbers and y[less-than]x, then whole numbers q and r must exist such that x=yq+r.
    a)what is the value of r if y is a factor of x? IT IS ZERO
    b)If y is not a factor of x, what are the possible values of r if y=5 , y=7, or y=n???

I dont get b), can anyone help me plz.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if y=5, then we can write x=5q+r (5<x). This says that x can be written as a multiple of 5 plus some remainder. What is the maximum value that this remainder can be?
  4. Feb 10, 2007 #3
    there is no max. value, and by the way the answer at the back of the book is : 1,2,3,4(for y=5) and 1,2,3,4,5,6(for y=7) and 1,2,3,....,n-1( for y=n).
    but i still dont understand what these answers mean.
  5. Feb 10, 2007 #4
    Why do you think there is no max value?
  6. Feb 10, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, so I suppose you could say there is no maximum value for r. However, suppose we say that we want x=5q+r where x>5, and q is as large as possible (which is what the question wants). i.e. we write x as the largest multiple of 5 possible, then take r as the remainder. Now, with the question written like this, there is a maximum value for r.

I'm not too sure how to give any futher hints without giving away the answer! But, suppose that r=9; is q the biggest value possible?
  7. Feb 11, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would help to state this properly: If x, y are natural numbers and y< x, then there exist unique whole numbers q and r such that x= yq+ r and [itex]0\le r< y[/itex]

8. Feb 11, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

as phrased, the correct answers are:
    a) any multiple of y,
    b) any integer at all.

(In this question, understanding how to ask it correctly is more important than answering it.]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?