Question in advanced functions.

In summary: If x and y are natural numbers and y[less-than]x, then whole numbers q and r must exist such that x=yq+r. By the way, the possible answers are as follows:a) any multiple of y,b) any integer at all.
kiss89
Hi, I'm taking calculus this sem, and i have a question on stuff pre calculus.

If x and y are natural numbers and y[less-than]x, then whole numbers q and r must exist such that x=yq+r.
a)what is the value of r if y is a factor of x? IT IS ZERO
b)If y is not a factor of x, what are the possible values of r if y=5 , y=7, or y=n?

I don't get b), can anyone help me please.
THANK YOU.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if y=5, then we can write x=5q+r (5<x). This says that x can be written as a multiple of 5 plus some remainder. What is the maximum value that this remainder can be?

there is no max. value, and by the way the answer at the back of the book is : 1,2,3,4(for y=5) and 1,2,3,4,5,6(for y=7) and 1,2,3,...,n-1( for y=n).
but i still don't understand what these answers mean.

kiss89 said:
there is no max. value,

Why do you think there is no max value?

Ok, so I suppose you could say there is no maximum value for r. However, suppose we say that we want x=5q+r where x>5, and q is as large as possible (which is what the question wants). i.e. we write x as the largest multiple of 5 possible, then take r as the remainder. Now, with the question written like this, there is a maximum value for r.

I'm not too sure how to give any futher hints without giving away the answer! But, suppose that r=9; is q the biggest value possible?

kiss89 said:
Hi, I'm taking calculus this sem, and i have a question on stuff pre calculus.

If x and y are natural numbers and y[less-than]x, then whole numbers q and r must exist such that x=yq+r.
It would help to state this properly: If x, y are natural numbers and y< x, then there exist unique whole numbers q and r such that x= yq+ r and [itex]0\le r< y[/itex]

a)what is the value of r if y is a factor of x? IT IS ZERO[\quote]
Without the additions above, x= 24, y= 4, you could write 24= 4(6) or 24= 4(5)+ 4 or 24= 4(4)+ 8, etc.

b)If y is not a factor of x, what are the possible values of r if y=5 , y=7, or y=n?

I don't get b), can anyone help me please.
THANK YOU.
If y= 5, then obviously the possible values for r are 1, 2, 3, 4. If y= 7, then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

as phrased, the correct answers are:
a) any multiple of y,
b) any integer at all.(In this question, understanding how to ask it correctly is more important than answering it.]

1. What is the purpose of using advanced functions in scientific research?

The purpose of using advanced functions in scientific research is to analyze and model complex data and relationships, and to make predictions or draw conclusions based on the data. These functions often involve multiple variables and can handle non-linear relationships, allowing for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena.

2. How do advanced functions differ from basic functions?

Advanced functions differ from basic functions in that they can handle more complex data and relationships. They often involve multiple variables and can handle non-linear relationships, allowing for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena. Advanced functions are also more customizable and can be tailored to specific research needs.

3. What are some examples of advanced functions used in scientific research?

Some examples of advanced functions used in scientific research include regression analysis, multivariate analysis, time series analysis, and machine learning algorithms. These functions are used to analyze and model complex data and relationships, and make predictions or draw conclusions based on the data.

4. How do scientists determine which advanced function to use for their research?

The choice of advanced function for a specific research project depends on the type of data and relationships being studied, as well as the specific research question or goal. Scientists may consult with statisticians or use data analysis software to determine the most appropriate advanced function for their research.

5. What are some common challenges when using advanced functions in scientific research?

Some common challenges when using advanced functions in scientific research include understanding and selecting the most appropriate function for the research question, dealing with large and complex datasets, and interpreting the results of the analysis. It is important for scientists to have a strong understanding of statistics and data analysis techniques in order to effectively use advanced functions in their research.