Understanding Dipole-Loop Interactions in Electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question in electrodynamics involving a dipole and a circular wire. The person is having trouble understanding which coordinate system to use and how to approach the problem. They receive guidance on using a specific equation and stokes' theorem to find the flux. Eventually, they come up with a solution involving the magnetic field and integrating over the boundaries.
colloio
Hi Guys

I have hards time doing a question in electrodynamics, i have uploaded the problem and i can't figure out how to do question a), i have hard time understanding what coordinat system i should use, cartesien og cylendrical. I have tryed to draw the field lines, its a bit messy, but its just a dipole above a loop and i have written down the vector potential equation from Grifiths book intro. to electrodynamics.

Attachments

• WP_000335.jpg
    WP_000335.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the electric dipole consist of charges +Q and -Q. Since their magnitudes are equal, all the electric field lines originating from +Q terminates at -Q. So apparently, finding flux due to a charge Q at the distance 'd' from the circular wire would suffice.

i don't think you have understood my question right

We start with a). In the template, you have written down the relevant equation under 2) relevant equations, right ? Small correction to that : ##\vec A_{dp}(r)## should be ##\vec A_{dp}(\vec r)##. Which is the vector potential at a point ##\vec r## due to a dipole at the origin. Right ?

So what is needed to rewrite this in the coordinate system of your exercise (which was already chosen for you, so you don't have to worry about that any more!) ?

Oh, and: welcome to PF. Do use the template. It helps you too (in several ways).

Yes pretty sure i should use this equation for the question and yes i forgot the arrow on r.

I don't understand "So what is needed to rewrite this in the coordinate system of your exercise (which was already chosen for you, so you don't have to worry about that any more!) ?"

and thank you very much.

Im thinking that i need to use the stated equation to find the vector potential everywhere inside this wire loop, so have to express my r in spherical coordinates and same is for m and than take the crossproduct, and than curl og the vektor potential, which gives me the magentic field and than i can integrate over det area, is this correct?

Sort of, yes. Stop worrying about the coordinate system. It is a given. I clearly see an x, a y and a z in the picture.
My "So what is needed ..." tries to point out that this time the dipole is not in the origin, but at (0,0,d)
There is a symmetry around the z axis that allows you to look at (x,0,0) for x from 0 to R and write down ##\vec A(x,0,0)## which I suspect points in the y direction... Your plan of approach seems excellent to me: as you say, take the curl to get B (for which you only need the z component) and integrate.

Im pretty weak in vektors for det plan, cylendrical and spherical coordinat systems, but i can see you suggest the plan coordinat system. Well i gave it a try in the sperical coordinate system, i have attached a image of my attempt, but now i don't know what bounderies i should integrate over to get the flux, and don't mind the text, its just the question text in danish language.

Attachments

• WP_000337.jpg
    WP_000337.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 355
Are you familiar with Stokes' theorem?
$$
\int_S (\nabla \times \vec A(\vec r)) \cdot d\vec S = \oint_{\partial S} \vec A(\vec r) \cdot d\vec r
$$
From this you should be able to perform the flux integral without much problem. You should not even need to compute the actual magnetic field.

of coures how could i forget this! great thanks alot. So i actually just need to integrate phi which goes from 0 to 2pi. but what about my r2 in the vector potiential dipole, i would need to rewrite that one in terms og θ, right?

Yes, you need to express ##r## (and ##\vec r##) in whatever coordinate system you happen to be using. I would use spherical or cylinder coordinates for this.

i have gotten a solution flux = μ_0*m*tanθ/(2*d), can you say anything about this being correct?

1. What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles.

2. How does electrodynamics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while electrodynamics deals with the behavior of electromagnetic fields and charged particles at a microscopic level.

3. What are some applications of electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics has many practical applications, including the development of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, the generation and transmission of electricity, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI.

4. What are the fundamental laws of electrodynamics?

The fundamental laws of electrodynamics are Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions with charged particles.

5. Can electrodynamics be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, electrodynamics has been successfully applied to other areas of science, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, to explain phenomena at a subatomic level and in high-energy environments.