Question in output transformer

In summary, an output transformer is an electrical component that is responsible for converting high-voltage, low-current signals from an amplifier into low-voltage, high-current signals that can be sent to a speaker. It helps to match the impedance of the amplifier to that of the speaker, ensuring efficient power transfer and high-quality sound output. The design of the output transformer is crucial in determining the overall performance of an audio system, with factors such as core material, winding configuration, and insulation affecting its efficiency and frequency response.
yungman
I am reading audio output transformers. This is a paragraph from RDH4 and I don't understand where the formula of [itex]L_0\;[/itex] come from. Please see attachment.

Attachments

• Tr2.PNG
    Tr2.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 462
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like it's just [itex]L = \mu \mu_0 N^2 A/l[/itex] where [itex]\mu_0 \simeq 1.26 E-6[/itex] H/m is folded in with the conversion from meters to inches to give the combined constant of 3.2E-8.

Last edited:
uart said:
It looks like it's just [itex]L = \mu \mu_0 N^2 A/l[/itex] where [itex]\mu_0 \simeq 1.26 E-6[/itex] is folded in with the conversion from meters to inches to give the combined constant of 3.2E-8.
Thanks for the reply. What is the magnetic path l?

[tex]L_0=\frac {3.2A\mu N^2}{10^8\times l}[/tex]

Also where is 3.2EE2 come from. [itex]\mu_0\;[/itex]=1.256EE-6 won't get 3.2EE2.

Thanks

Alsn

Last edited:
yungman said:
Thanks for the reply. What is the magnetic path l?

[tex]L_0=\frac {3.2A\mu N^2}{10^8\times l}[/tex]

Also where is 3.2EE2 come from. [itex]\mu_0\;[/itex]=1.256EE-6 won't get 3.2EE2.

Thanks

Alsn

No, the geometric factor A/l just has units of length. In SI units you use m^2 and m to give A/l in meters. Then of course you use [itex]\mu_0[/itex] in H/m (1.26E-6 H/m).

If however you use inches for A/l then you'll need [itex]\mu_0[/itex] in H/in, so approx divided by 39.4 to give 3.2E-8

Thanks, so it's just going from meter to inches.

So what is the path length [itesx]l[/itex]? It was given 4.5 inches, where is this come from? Is this the length of the coil?

yungman said:
Thanks, so it's just going from meter to inches.

So what is the path length [itesx]l[/itex]? It was given 4.5 inches, where is this come from? Is this the length of the coil?

Yeah, it's the mean flux path length. :smile:

Thanks Uart, you are of big help.

Actually I have another question:

We know for solenoid, [itex]B=\mu_0\mu n I\;\hbox{ where n is number of turns per unit length.}[/itex]

So [itex] L=\mu_0\mu n^2 A \;\hbox{ where A is the cross section area of the solenoid.}[/itex]

The equation in the article, N is the total number of turns in the given length. so:

[tex]n=\frac N l\;\Rightarrow\; n^2=\frac {N^2}{l^2}[/tex]

With that [itex]L_0\;[/itex] should be:

[tex] L_0= \frac {3.2A \mu_0\mu}{10^8}\frac{N^2}{l^2}\;\hbox{ instead of }\;L_0= \frac {3.2A \mu_0\mu}{10^8}\frac{N^2}{l}[/tex]

yungman said:
With that [itex]L_0\;[/itex] should be:

[tex] L_0= \frac {3.2A \mu_0\mu}{10^8}\frac{N^2}{l^2}\;\hbox{ instead of }\;L_0= \frac {3.2A \mu_0\mu}{10^8}\frac{N^2}{l}[/tex]

No, the equation you post for the solenoid is not for the total inductance, it is for the inductance per unit length. It should read :

[tex]\frac{L}{l}=\mu_0\mu n^2 A [/tex]

uart said:
No, the equation you post for the solenoid is not for the total inductance, it is for the inductance per unit length. It should read :

[tex]\frac{L}{l}=\mu_0\mu n^2 A [/tex]

Thanks, do you go to sleep? I put in my sleeping in between these posts and you're still here!

So basically the total inductance is take the inductance per unit length times the length:

[tex] L_0= \frac {3.2A \mu_0\mu}{10^8}\frac{N^2}{l^2} \times l \Rightarrow \; L_0= \frac {3.2A \mu_0\mu}{10^8}\frac{N^2}{l}[/tex]

I have a different question, below is the equivalent circuit from the book: The first image is the part in question about the input impedance. The middle picture is the equivalent circuit at different frequency from the book.

The last picture on the right is my equivalent circuit. The top is the equivalent circuit of the real transformer.
(1) is the equivalent circuit refer to the primary.
(2) is the low frequency equivalent.
(3) is the equation of RA using my equivalent circuit which is different from the book in the first image.
(4) is the high frequency equivalent.

As you can see, the way I draw the equivalent circuit is different from the book, I don't think I can agree with the derivation of the book in the first image on the left. Even the equivalent circuit from the book Handbook of Transformer Design and Application by Flanagan and Wikipedia agree with me as in (1) of my drawing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

Attachments

• Freq limit.PNG
    Freq limit.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 417
  • TrEq2.PNG
    TrEq2.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Equiv1L.png
    Equiv1L.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Anyone?

1. What is an output transformer and what is its function?

An output transformer is a component found in many electronic devices, used to transfer electrical energy from the output stage of a device to a load such as a speaker or antenna. It is responsible for matching the impedance of the output stage to the load, and also helps to isolate the output stage from any DC voltage present in the load.

2. How does an output transformer work?

An output transformer works by using a primary and secondary winding, which are usually wound around a shared iron core. The primary winding receives the electrical signal from the output stage and induces a magnetic field in the core. This magnetic field is then transferred to the secondary winding, which in turn creates an electrical signal with the appropriate impedance for the load.

3. What are the different types of output transformers?

There are several types of output transformers, including audio, video, and power transformers. Audio output transformers are commonly found in audio equipment such as amplifiers and speakers. Video output transformers are used in television and display devices. Power output transformers are used in power supply circuits to step up or step down voltage levels.

4. How do you choose the right output transformer for a specific device?

Choosing the right output transformer depends on the specific requirements of the device. Factors to consider include the impedance of the output stage, the desired impedance for the load, and the power handling capabilities of the transformer. It is important to select a transformer that can handle the voltage and current levels required by the device.

5. Can an output transformer affect the sound or performance of an audio device?

Yes, an output transformer can have a significant impact on the sound and performance of an audio device. The quality of the transformer can affect the frequency response, distortion, and overall tone of the audio signal. Choosing a high-quality transformer can help improve the overall sound quality of an audio device.