1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question involving graph

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Supopse that "a" and "b" are two numbers and that a < b+ε for all ε>0. Show that a ≤ b

2. Relevant equations

None given for problem

3. The attempt at a solution

See attachment of my jpeg for my attempt. I'm not sure, but i feel like it satisfies the statement

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The graph does not constitute an argument. I would not even consider drawing a graph for this question (unless instructed to). Or are you just checking you have understood the question?

4. Feb 3, 2013 #3
    For problems like these, can I use real numbers to try and figure it out?

Assuming a = 5 and b + e = 6. These two values would work because 5 < 6. Since e > 0, it has to be a positive number. To make things easy, we'll pick the smallest positive integer greater than zero: 1. If e becomes equal to 1, then I can say that b is equal to 5. Now I can say that a = b, which satisfies the first part of the second equation.

"b" can be greater than "a" if I pick any number I want "b" to equal, so long as it is greater than "a" by a substantial amount.

Algebraically, I could write that

a < b when e > (b-a), and a = b when e = (b-a) ?

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is not a question about integers, I'm sure. It's about reals. And no argument based on specific numbers could be considered a general proof.
    Try reductio ad absurdum: assume a is not <= b and see if you can demonstrate this violates "a < b+ε for all ε>0".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook