Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(question) Magnetic monopole

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    Does anyone knows how to explain (both physics and mathematics) why there's no magnetic mono-pole?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2
    Physics can alone do that job.

M.F arises cause of angular motion mostly, and the character of angular motion is that from one side it looks like tuning clockwise and the other side anticlockwise.

As a result you get 2 poles.

Similar can be said about a charged particle in leaner motion; from one side its direction is left, from the other its right.

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    They are not ruled out by either.

They just haven't been found yet, or there is some deep, unknown mechanism which prohibits them from existing.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4
    You mean what I've said yet unknown?

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    What i mean is: compare with the charge (Q), which is can isolate to mono-pole ( +Q or -Q ), and we can interpret each behavior separately.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6
    I recall hearing about Louis Alvarez (Nobel Lauriate) grinding up meteorites found in Antartica and making marbles out of them, and spinning them inside toroidal solenoids using compressed air to search for a dc current in the coil. No luck.

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7
    You are refering to magnetic fields that arise due to some electrical current. as a result, the magnetic field lines are closed and you always end up with a dipole. It is, however, also possible (at least on a theoretical basis) to constitute a particle which produces a radial magnetic field. Such a field cannot possibly be generated by a dipole source. The source is in fact a monopole.

9. Mar 29, 2009 #8
    Magnitude is not the reason here.

Sorta, but I considered spin too (with an electron).

10. Mar 30, 2009 #9
    I believe there are some possible hypotheses regarding magnetic monoples at the origin of the universe....I can't recall the brief commentary I have seen but my recollection is that it was speculative..certainly nothing is known for sure nor experimentally verified....

Wiki has a nice write up at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopoles
    " Dirac showed that if magnetic monopoles exist, then that would explain the quantization of electric charge in the universe..."

"These theories are not necessarily inconsistent with the experimental evidence: in some models magnetic monopoles are unlikely to be observed, because they are too massive to be created in particle accelerators, and too rare in the universe to wander into a particle detector."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook