Exploring Possibilities of Multiple Realities

• Thread starter laslow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses dimensions and the idea that there could be multiple versions of oneself living different lives in different dimensions. The concept of living in a 3-dimensional universe is compared to the idea of living in an 11-dimensional universe according to M-theory. The conversation also mentions books that delve into these theories, such as "Hyperspace" and "The Elegant Universe."
laslow
I am correct by this thought? Since their are 11 Dimensions. Does that mean that they can be 11 of myself that took different paths in life or death?

Like one of me is a cop and the other a CEO and so on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way - we 'live' in a 3-dimensional universe but there aren't 3 of you out there :) Think of the 'dimensions' similar to those in the cartesian graphing system - not like the zombie dimension from Half Life or something.

gregorypierce said:
we 'live' in a 3-dimensional universe.

Not to be nitpicky but...

We live in a 4-d universe(based on realitivity)

lvlastermind said:
Not to be nitpicky but...

We live in a 4-d universe(based on realitivity)

But M-theory, which is a string/brane theory of fundamental physics, lives in 11 dimensions, so IF M-theory is the true picture of physics, the we live in 11 dimensions, of which 7 cannot be seen, perhaps because they are curled up into tiny spaces. Our four dimensional spacetime is then the part of the 11 dimensions that didn't curl up.

Dr. Kaku's book Hyperspace and Brian Green's book The Elegant Universe dicuss these matters.

At any given time one of me is a tall guy... another is living as a wide guy... and my third persona is a thick guy...

selfAdjoint said:
But M-theory, which is a string/brane theory of fundamental physics, lives in 11 dimensions, so IF M-theory is the true picture of physics, the we live in 11 dimensions, of which 7 cannot be seen, perhaps because they are curled up into tiny spaces. Our four dimensional spacetime is then the part of the 11 dimensions that didn't curl up.

Agreed, I've read much about string theory...

1. What is the concept of multiple realities?

The concept of multiple realities refers to the idea that there may be more than one version or interpretation of reality. This theory suggests that there could be an infinite number of parallel universes or dimensions, each with its own unique set of rules and possibilities.

2. How do scientists explore the possibilities of multiple realities?

Scientists often explore the possibilities of multiple realities through thought experiments, mathematical models, and theoretical physics. They may also use advanced technology such as particle accelerators and telescopes to gather data that can support or disprove different theories about multiple realities.

3. Is there any evidence to support the existence of multiple realities?

While there is no concrete evidence to prove the existence of multiple realities, there are some scientific theories, such as the multiverse theory, that suggest the possibility of their existence. Additionally, quantum mechanics and the study of subatomic particles also provide some evidence for the idea of multiple realities.

4. What are the potential implications of multiple realities?

If multiple realities do exist, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also change the way we think about time, space, and the laws of physics. Additionally, it could have implications for philosophy, religion, and our perception of reality.

5. Can we ever prove the existence of multiple realities?

It is currently impossible to prove the existence of multiple realities with our current technology and understanding. However, as science and technology continue to advance, we may one day have the capability to gather evidence and potentially prove the existence of multiple realities.