Exploring the Possibilities of Coin Combinations: Counting Without Making Change

• Thread starter Alexsandro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the number of different sums that can be paid without making change, using a given set of coins. The first part (a) asks for the number of sums that can be paid with 2 dollars, 2 quarters, and 3 nickels, excluding the 0 sum. The second part (b) asks for the same with the quarters replaced by dimes. The conversation includes a discussion on the correct reasoning and answer for part (a) and a hint for solving part (b). It concludes with the answer to part (b) being 23.

erase

• erase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • erase

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alexsandro
This question seems easy, but I don't understand what it's mean with "without making change". Could someone help me?

If you have 2 dollars, 2 quarter and 3 nickels:

a) how many different sums can you pay without making change?

b) Change the quarters into dimes and answer again.
--------------
This question is in a book and the answers are:
a)35 (0 sum being excluded);
b)23
--------------
To the item (a), I did this way:
if it can to be used [0,1 or 2] dollars, [0,1 or 2] quarters and [0,1,2, or 3] nickels, then there are 3x3x4 = 36 - 1 = 35 different sums, excluding the 0 sum.
Is my reasoning correct?
--------------
I don't find the answer to item (b). Could you help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tricky part for (b) is, of course, that 2 Nickels = 1 Dime. Perhaps you can find a different, easier set of coins that will generate the same sums as 2 dollars, 2 dimes, and 3 nickels?

I didn't understand yet

NateTG said:
The tricky part for (b) is, of course, that 2 Nickels = 1 Dime. Perhaps you can find a different, easier set of coins that will generate the same sums as 2 dollars, 2 dimes, and 3 nickels?

----------------

I am trying, but I still don't obtaining the answer to part (b). Do you know how to do this ?

In this context "without making change" means:

1. using up all the coins and getting no money back from the seller,

and

2. not exchanging any coins with coins of the same aggregate value but of different individual values. (e.g. you are not allowed to replace 1 Real with four 0.25 Reals.)

Last edited:
Part (b) is asking "how would your answer to part (a) be modified if we took away the two 0.25 Reals and gave you five 0.10 Reals?" (Now you have 2 dollars, 5 dimes and 3 nickels.)

Alexsandro said:
To the item (a), I did this way:
if it can to be used [0,1 or 2] dollars, [0,1 or 2] quarters and [0,1,2, or 3] nickels, then there are 3x3x4 = 36 - 1 = 35 different sums, excluding the 0 sum.
Is my reasoning correct?
Seems correct to me.

Your problem is that the nickels and dimes intersect, right?

Let's try an easier version:

How many different sums can you make with 7 nickels?
How many different sums can you make with 3 dimes and 1 nickel?

Using 2 dimes and 3 nickels,all the amonts within 1 dollar thar can be paid are
0c,5c,10c,15c,20c,25c,30c,35c which is 8
So when combined with $ it is
8*3-1(exclude 0$)=23

Thanks

Thanks, I understood and I could response this question!

1. How do you accurately count a large quantity of coins?

One method is to use a coin counting machine, which can quickly and accurately count large quantities of coins. Another option is to weigh the coins and use a conversion chart to determine the total value.

2. What is the best way to organize and group different types of coins for counting?

The most efficient way to organize coins for counting is to group them by type (e.g. all pennies together, all dimes together, etc.) and then count each group separately. This will ensure that you don't accidentally mix up the coins and have to start over.

3. Can I count foreign coins with my local currency?

Yes, you can count foreign coins with your local currency by converting their value to your currency using the current exchange rate. Alternatively, you can take them to a bank or currency exchange and have them counted and exchanged for your local currency.

4. How can I ensure an accurate count when counting coins manually?

To ensure an accurate count when counting coins manually, it is important to count slowly and carefully. You can also use a coin counter tray or a piece of paper with designated sections for each type of coin to help keep track of the count.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for counting coins?

One trick for counting coins is to stack them in groups of five or ten, which can make the counting process faster and easier. Another trick is to use a calculator to keep track of the total value as you count the coins.