Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question of Green's Theorem

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    This is a copy of the book:
    [PLAIN]http://i38.tinypic.com/20faqnc.jpg[/PLAIN]

I know the derivation part, I just want to see whether I understand why the -ve sign of ##-\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}dA## in a more common sense way.

From looking at the graph for type I region, ##g_2(x)## is above ##g_1(x)## referenced to y axis. So the integral has to be ##g_2(x)-g_1(x)##. BUT the orientation of curve of ##g_2(x)## is from b to a. So if we want to integrate from a to b, we need to put a -ve sign.

From the type II region, ##h_2(x)## is above ##h_1(x)## referenced to x axis. So the integral has to be ##h_2(x)-h_1(x)##. The orientation of curve of ##h_2(x)## is from c to d. So if we want to integrate from c to d, it would be +ve sign.

Am I getting it right?

Bottom line is the sign depends on the direction of the higher value function of the two ( ie. ##g_2(t)≥g_1(t)##). If the direction is from high value to low value, then the sign has to be change to make it from low to high ( ie. ##g_2(t)## oriented from b to a. So sign needed to be change to integrate from a to b).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2
    Anyone please?

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3
    Anyone can comment? Even opinions are really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook