Sunlight & Earth: 8.3 Minute Delay?

• Thread starter batballbat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, light from the sun takes 8.3 minutes to reach the Earth and the Earth's rotation causes the dark part to slowly face the sun, but the light still takes 8.3 minutes to reach it. The same concept applies to a continuous source of water hitting a rotating sphere. As for a laser beam, each photon travels independently and does not require anything to push it along, so it does not need to be continuously on to reach its target.
batballbat
i am having problem with the nature of light. The sun is lighting the earth. Suppose there solar system was emplty. Let's say we put the sun and Earth in their respective places in a experiment. So initially it will take 8.3 minutes to illuminate the part of Earth facing the sun. The Earth rotates and the dark part will slowly face the sun. My question is does it take again 8.3 minutes to light the first fraction of the initially dark part.
Suppose we have a continuous source of water like a pipe and let's say its hitting a sphere ball. Initially it will take some time to reach the ball. And as the ball rotates the water won't take time to hit it (the back part).
So is the light we receive during sunrise was given 8.3 minutes ago or is it otherwise, that as soon as we face the sun, we receive the light?

Science news on Phys.org
batballbat said:
So is the light we receive during sunrise was given 8.3 minutes ago or is it otherwise, that as soon as we face the sun, we receive the light?
It is both. As soon as we face the sun we receive the light that was given 8 minutes ago.

The water and light both have finite travel times. After you turn the hose on it will take a finite time for the water to initially hit the sphere, however you never turned the water off, so every molecule of water has had the same amount of flight time to get to the sphere. The situation with the Sun is identical.

On this topic - if you shine a laser at the moon for 0.1s and then stop, will the light reach the moon, or do you have to hold down the laser till the light reaches the moon, as if the light behind other light particles is "pushing" the light in front of it.

I'm going to guess this post will be flamed for stupidity and I suspect I already know the answer, but I just want to make sure.

jewbinson said:
On this topic - if you shine a laser at the moon for 0.1s and then stop, will the light reach the moon, or do you have to hold down the laser till the light reaches the moon, as if the light behind other light particles is "pushing" the light in front of it.

I'm going to guess this post will be flamed for stupidity and I suspect I already know the answer, but I just want to make sure.

Each photon in the laser beam travels on its own and doesn't need anything to push it along. You would not need to keep the laser on to ensure it hits the moon.

Jewbinson, you will never be 'flamed' on PF. As to your laser question, Drakkith nailed it down quite well. If it helps (hell, even if it doesn't) I'll offer an example that you might be familiar with. When you watch a fireworks display, the explosions are long over before you hear them. Because it is so incredibly fast, most people don't realize that the light from the shells also has a travel time, so the explosions are essentially over before you even see them. (There is a lot of overlap, though, because the travel time is less than the combustion time.)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does sunlight reach the Earth?

Sunlight reaches the Earth through the process of radiation. The sun emits energy in the form of electromagnetic waves, which travel through space and reach the Earth.

2. Why is there an 8.3 minute delay in sunlight reaching the Earth?

The distance between the Earth and the sun is approximately 93 million miles. Light travels at a speed of 186,282 miles per second, so it takes about 8.3 minutes for sunlight to travel from the sun to the Earth.

3. How does the delay in sunlight impact our daily lives?

The 8.3 minute delay in sunlight does not have a significant impact on our daily lives. However, it does impact the accuracy of the time shown on sundials and the appearance of the sunrise and sunset times, which are based on the position of the sun.

4. Is the 8.3 minute delay constant throughout the year?

No, the delay in sunlight reaching the Earth can vary slightly throughout the year. This is due to the elliptical orbit of the Earth around the sun, which causes the distance between the two to change slightly.

5. How do scientists measure the delay in sunlight reaching the Earth?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the delay in sunlight reaching the Earth, including using satellites, telescopes, and precise time measurements. They also take into account factors such as the Earth's orbit and the speed of light to calculate the exact delay.