What are the Practical Uses of Oldham Couplers in Various Machines?

• Thread starter farhad_mech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, the oldham coupler is a coupling for parallel shafts at some radial distance. It is used in cnc machines.
farhad_mech
hello
our prof talked about oldham coupler and showed us some animations of how it works,
but didn't mention about where and in which machines it is is used,
anybody knows some practical uses of oldham coupler and some examples
of machines this coupler is used in?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
its an oldie. it works in labs now.lolz...

Practical use? What do you observe when you see it? Its a coupling for parallel shafts at some radial distance

thanks for answer.i know "Its a coupling for parallel shafts at some radial distance",i want to know name of some machines that use it,searching in google i found that it is used in cnc machines,is there any specific other machines that use this couplig?
you said it works in labs now,you mean toadays oldham coupler is not used anymore?

farhad_mech said:
i found that it is used in cnc machines
:frown:can you show us a link?

farhad_mech said:
you said it works in labs now,you mean toadays oldham coupler is not used anymore?

I won't say anymore, but I haven't seen it so far other than my kinematics lab as an inversion of a 4 bar chain.
It isn't practical anymore for today's world. First, its a lower pair, has sooo much frictional loss, second, it is suitable for very small radial distances, there are better(efficient as well as cheap) options.

These couplers are used all over, especially in pump applications.

Look at companys like Lovejoy.

ank_gl said:
It isn't practical anymore for today's world. First, its a lower pair, has sooo much frictional loss, second, it is suitable for very small radial distances, there are better(efficient as well as cheap) options.
I'd have to disagree with that. They're used extensively for coupling electric motors to pumps, especially centrifugal pumps. I use a type of this coupling for connecting the drive shafts of two pumps together, so there are a lot of uses.

Generally, they're used when there are two shafts that need to be connected, and the shafts are both fully supported by bearings. If the shafts were directly coupled (ie: locked together as a single shaft) then any misalignment would create huge loads on the bearings which would wear out prematurely. So the coupling allows for some misalignment between fixed shafts so there won't be excessive loads created on the bearings.

Q_Goest said:
Generally, they're used when there are two shafts that need to be connected, and the shafts are both fully supported by bearings. If the shafts were directly coupled (ie: locked together as a single shaft) then any misalignment would create huge loads on the bearings which would wear out prematurely. So the coupling allows for some misalignment between fixed shafts so there won't be excessive loads created on the bearings.
hmm, nice solution. :smile:

thank you so much Q_Goest and FredGarvin,i think i have my answer now.

yeah me too, thanks q_goest & fred

1. What is an Oldham coupling?

An Oldham coupling is a type of mechanical coupling used to connect two parallel shafts. It consists of three parts - two disks with perpendicular slots and a center block with perpendicular projections. The projections of the center block fit into the slots of the disks, allowing for movement of the shafts while maintaining a constant speed ratio.

2. How does an Oldham coupling work?

As the two shafts rotate, the projections on the center block slide back and forth in the slots of the disks, allowing for axial, angular, and parallel misalignments between the two shafts. The constant speed ratio is maintained because the projections and slots are perpendicular and the center block stays centered between the two disks.

3. What are the advantages of using an Oldham coupling?

Oldham couplings are known for their ability to handle misalignments while maintaining a constant speed ratio. They also have low backlash and high torsional stiffness, making them suitable for high precision applications. Additionally, they are compact and easy to install.

4. What are the limitations of an Oldham coupling?

One limitation of an Oldham coupling is its limited torque capacity. They are not suitable for high torque applications and can be prone to wear and tear if subjected to excessive loads. Additionally, they are not recommended for use in high-speed applications due to the potential for vibration and resonance.

5. What are the common applications of an Oldham coupling?

Oldham couplings are commonly used in various industrial and mechanical systems, such as conveyor belts, pumps, and packaging machines. They are also used in precision instruments and robotics, where accurate and smooth motion is required.