Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question:oldham coupling

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    hello
    our prof talked about oldham coupler and showed us some animations of how it works,
    but didn't mention about where and in which machines it is is used,
    anybody knows some practical uses of oldham coupler and some examples
    of machines this coupler is used in?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2
    its an oldie. it works in labs now.lolz...

Practical use? What do you observe when you see it? Its a coupling for parallel shafts at some radial distance

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    thanks for answer.i know "Its a coupling for parallel shafts at some radial distance",i want to know name of some machines that use it,searching in google i found that it is used in cnc machines,is there any specific other machines that use this couplig?
    you said it works in labs now,you mean toadays oldham coupler is not used anymore?

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4
    :frown:can you show us a link?

I wont say anymore, but I haven't seen it so far other than my kinematics lab as an inversion of a 4 bar chain.
    It isnt practical anymore for today's world. First, its a lower pair, has sooo much frictional loss, second, it is suitable for very small radial distances, there are better(efficient as well as cheap) options.

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5
  7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

These couplers are used all over, especially in pump applications.

Look at companys like Lovejoy.

8. Feb 19, 2009 #7

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd have to disagree with that. They're used extensively for coupling electric motors to pumps, especially centrifugal pumps. I use a type of this coupling for connecting the drive shafts of two pumps together, so there are a lot of uses.

Generally, they're used when there are two shafts that need to be connected, and the shafts are both fully supported by bearings. If the shafts were directly coupled (ie: locked together as a single shaft) then any misalignment would create huge loads on the bearings which would wear out prematurely. So the coupling allows for some misalignment between fixed shafts so there won't be excessive loads created on the bearings.

9. Feb 20, 2009 #8
    hmm, nice solution. :smile:

10. Feb 21, 2009 #9
    thank you so much Q_Goest and FredGarvin,i think i have my answer now.

11. Feb 21, 2009 #10
    yeah me too, thanks q_goest & fred

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook