1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on 2d charge arrays

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive and simplify an expression for the electrical potential energy of the charge configuration. It's an equilateral triangle with charges +q, -q and +q.

2. Relevant equations
    Ep=Kq2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to do this with squares (it's basically exploding the symmetry). For example in a square there are charges #s1,2,3 and 4. I do the equation with 1 respect to 2,3 and 4. Then with 2 respect to 3 and 4. Finally, 3 respect to 4. I see which terms cancel out, then it's all algebra.

I did this in this triangle, getting -kq2/r as the final expression, which for some reason doesn't convince me (perhaps because it's too simple? lol).

I don't know if in the square you are ''unconsciently'' multiplying by the sin90, therefore I should multiply by sin60 here. If so, is it just multiplying sin60 by each term?

I do know that electrical potential energy is a vector quantity and not a scalar quantity like voltage, right?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    so would the expression be -kq2/r *sin60?

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential energy is a scalar quantity. Show your work in detail, please.

ehild

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. Feb 1, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct if you mean the side of the triangle by "r".

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook