Understanding Acceleration and its Impact on Time and Velocity - A Question

In summary, the acceleration of a first object increases as it gets closer to a second object due to the gravitational force between them.
Jared Adams
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and hope to contribute as much help as I ask for. Anyway, wouldn't the acceleration of a first object increase as it gets closer to a second object? If so, is there/ what is the formula for time/velocity if the rate of acceleration varies?
Thanks,
Jared A.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Are you thinking about gravity increasing between two objects as they get closer to each other? The answer is yes, as two objects get closer together the gravitational force between them increases, and so the acceleration will increase.

The reason we don't talk about this so much in every day life is that 1) the gravitational force is very weak, the only thing that really affects us (as people) gravitationally is the Earth, so we don't really care about the gravitational force between e.g. 2 baseballs, and 2) we tend to stay here on the surface of the Earth. We are ~6700km from the center of the Earth, and when we jump or fall from a height, etc., we are ~1-2m off the ground. This is a change in distance of one part in 6,700,000 so the "increase in acceleration as we are close to the surface vs when we are jumping up off of the surface" is negligible.

Matterwave said:
Are you thinking about gravity increasing between two objects as they get closer to each other? The answer is yes, as two objects get closer together the gravitational force between them increases, and so the acceleration will increase.

The reason we don't talk about this so much in every day life is that 1) the gravitational force is very weak, the only thing that really affects us (as people) gravitationally is the Earth, so we don't really care about the gravitational force between e.g. 2 baseballs, and 2) we tend to stay here on the surface of the Earth. We are ~6700km from the center of the Earth, and when we jump or fall from a height, etc., we are ~1-2m off the ground. This is a change in distance of one part in 6,700,000 so the "increase in acceleration as we are close to the surface vs when we are jumping up off of the surface" is negligible.

Would it be useful for stuff like landing on a comet? Because as far as I know, it needs to be very precise and even the slightest change in velocity makes a huge difference.

Got this from from the Wikipedia page on gravitational acceleration, this might be what you're looking for. I don't think it shows the acceleration of gravity at specific altitudes but it does give a range."At different points on Earth, objects fall with an acceleration between 9.78 and 9.83 m/s2 depending on altitude, with a conventional standard value of exactly 9.80665 m/s2 (approx. 32.174 ft/s2). Objects with low densities do not accelerate as rapidly due to buoyancy and air resistance."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_acceleration

Thanks, but I'm working on a simulation that should work for extraterrestrial bodies over much longer distances.

The force of gravity between two objects is given by Newton's law of universal gravitation:

$$\vec{F}_{12}=-\frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r_{12}^2}\hat{r}_{12}$$

This means the force is directed along the line connecting the two objects (their center of masses) and that the force is attractive (hence the negative sign) and that the force is proportional to the product of the masses and the inverse of the square of the distance between them.

Yadama and Matterwave, I could continuously refresh a=GM/(r^2), however it wouldn't work very quickly. I may end up doing that if there is no one equation, however as a last resort. Chronos, thanks for the link, but I couldn't find much that was useful.

Heres something i worked on for someone, you might check it out, don't forget the part about radians.

Attachments

• come together freefall time.docx
    70.8 KB · Views: 197

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much it changes) and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration depend on the units of velocity and time used in the calculation. In the SI system, acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration or retardation) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. Both types of acceleration involve a change in velocity, but in opposite directions.

5. How does acceleration relate to forces?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.