Understanding Basic Rectifiers: Question and Explanation

• Thread starter Abdullah Almosalami
  • Start date
In summary, the issue being discussed is the output of a basic half-wave rectifier circuit with and without a reservoir capacitor. The expected output for the circuit without the capacitor is a half-rectified sine wave, while the output for the circuit with the capacitor is a rippled DC voltage. The question is why the capacitor holds its voltage while the voltage source drops, and the answer is that the capacitor is following the half-rectified wave, but due to negative current, the diode only allows the capacitor to discharge through the resistor, creating the rippled DC output.
Abdullah Almosalami
This has been frustrating me to no end, and I can't really find an answer in any textbook. So, here's my issue. A basic half-wave rectifier circuit with just a reservoir capacitor looks like this:

Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit with Reservoir Capacitor.png

And the output, as expected, is this "rippled DC" voltage:

Half-Wave Rectifier With 10uF Reservoir Capacitor.png

Alright. My issue is if we take a step back and get the voltage output of the circuit without the reservoir capacitor, like so (slightly different diode but shouldn't change anything):

Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit without Reservoir Capacitor.png

The output, as you would expect, would be a half-rectified sine wave:

Output on Half-Wave Rectifier Without Reservoir Capacitor.png

So, where is the link between the latter and former case! Most textbooks and literally everybody everywhere says that once the voltage source reaches peak, the capacitor will also be at peak minus the voltage drop across the diode, and then as the voltage source drops, it will become less than the capacitor's voltage and so the diode will become reverse-biased and that part of the circuit essentially gets disconnected until the voltage source rises back up again to meet back with the capacitor's voltage, and in the meantime the capacitor discharges its charge and maintains the slightly decreasing voltage across it. My issue is, why would the capacitor hold its voltage while the voltage source drops! It is a passive component. It should just follow the voltage as seen ^ in the latter case. For example, if I had this case:

Snapchat-1848085985.jpg

You wouldn't expect the voltage across the capacitor to be that rippling DC of a half-wave rectifier. You would just expect it to follow the voltage source. It would be a contradiction violating KVL if the capacitor's voltage and the source's voltage differed! And also violate the idea that the capacitor is a passive component!

Of course, I know that the capacitor voltage will be that rippling DC, but my question is why? What analysis can show this? Where's the math or the model to show this, say to someone who wouldn't know that the output would be rippled DC?

Attachments

• Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit with Reservoir Capacitor.png
    Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit with Reservoir Capacitor.png
    17 KB · Views: 778
  • Half-Wave Rectifier With 10uF Reservoir Capacitor.png
    Half-Wave Rectifier With 10uF Reservoir Capacitor.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit without Reservoir Capacitor.png
    Half-Wave Rectifier Circuit without Reservoir Capacitor.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Output on Half-Wave Rectifier Without Reservoir Capacitor.png
    Output on Half-Wave Rectifier Without Reservoir Capacitor.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Snapchat-1848085985.jpg
    Snapchat-1848085985.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 347
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a diode? A diode conduct current in one direction, from Anode to Cathode. In order for the diode to conduct, the Anode has to be about 0.7V higher than the Cathode. If Anode is less than 0.7V higher or Anode is more negative, the diode turns off and no current will flow.

What is a capacitor? It's to hold charge! So when the voltage goes up D1 will conduct and charge up the cap. The voltage on the cap follows ( with a diode drop of cause). But then when the voltage of the driving source goes do, you know that the diode D1 will be reverse biased and turn off. What is the path that discharge the cap? The answer is R1 only as D1 is off.

The charge of the cap holds the voltage, after D1 turns off, the only path of discharge the cap is R1. So the voltage drops in the cap is ONLY depend on the value of R1. If R1 is high and the charge is discharged slowly, the voltage across the cap will drop slowly like you showed as saw tooth wave.

Remember, when the input drops below the voltage on the cap, D1 is off, no charge will be discharged through D1. Why should the voltage on the cap follow the input? You forgot the function of D1 all together.

Last edited:
yungman said:
What is a capacitor? It's to hold charge! So when the voltage goes up D1 will conduct and charge up the cap. The voltage on the cap follows ( with a diode drop of cause). But then when the voltage of the driving source goes do, you know that the diode D1 will be reverse biased and turn off. What is the path that discharge the cap? The answer is R1 only as D1 is off.

Yes. This is what I mentioned in my question. When the voltage source drops from peak, at some point the voltage source minus the voltage across the capacitor will be less than the forward voltage needed to keep the diode conducting when forward biased. But this is assuming that the voltage of the capacitor stays constant, waiting for the voltage source to drop below it. I'm asking why would the capacitor do that?

I just got the answer after asking an EE professor. I swear this should be taught more clearly and put in textbooks. The reason is the current running through the capacitor is given by the defining equation ## i_c = C * \frac {dv} {dt} ##, and so if the capacitor was following the half-rectified wave after the peaks, we see that ## \frac {dv} {dt} ## is negative, which would mean that the current running through the capacitor was moving backwards into the source's positive terminal, but the diode would not allow this, and so ##i_c## must equal to 0, which means ## \frac {dv} {dt} ## must also equal to 0, and hence the capacitor will maintain it's voltage at constant until the voltage source drops enough so that the diode becomes reverse biased. Holy moly freaken finally. I've been going crazy with this. Seems so obvious though now that I know. Ayaaa.

Last edited:
We have to train our brain to think in that derivative-integral relationship between voltage and current and it's unnatural at first.

Practice it - you're going to really need it for inductance !.

Likes berkeman and Abdullah Almosalami
jim hardy said:
We have to train our brain to think in that derivative-integral relationship between voltage and current and it's unnatural at first.

Practice it - you're going to really need it for inductance !.
Absolutely! The more you know :D.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a rectifier and how does it work?

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). It works by using diodes to only allow current to flow in one direction, effectively "rectifying" the current.

2. What are the different types of rectifiers?

There are three main types of rectifiers: half-wave, full-wave, and bridge. Half-wave rectifiers use one diode to convert half of the AC wave into DC, while full-wave rectifiers use four diodes to convert the entire AC wave. Bridge rectifiers use four diodes in a specific configuration to convert the entire AC wave.

3. What is the purpose of a smoothing capacitor in a rectifier circuit?

A smoothing capacitor is used to reduce the ripple in the DC output of a rectifier. It does this by storing charge when the voltage is high and releasing it when the voltage drops, resulting in a more constant output.

4. How do I calculate the output voltage of a rectifier circuit?

The output voltage of a rectifier circuit can be calculated by multiplying the peak voltage of the AC input by the form factor (0.707 for half-wave, 1.11 for full-wave, and 1.21 for bridge) and the voltage drop across the diode(s) used in the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of rectifiers?

Rectifiers are commonly used in power supplies, battery chargers, and electronic devices that require DC power. They are also used in various industrial and household appliances, such as refrigerators and washing machines.