Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on C13 NMR

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    I currently have a problem with having 2 small peaks, normally from what I would recall would correspond to 2 fully substituted carbons. (The molecule I have predicted is ethyl-3-bromobenzoate) With one carbon fully substitued at the '3 position of the benzene, the carbon of the carbonyl group, and the carbon of '1 position of benzene fully substituted with the carbon group, wouldn't there be 3 small peaks?

The calculation I do for the individual resonances come out perfectly; however, one of the problems is that the '1 carbon of benzene is shown as a peak with high intensity. My question is is it possible for a carbon fully substitued in a benzene ring to have a high resonance?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2007 #2
  4. Jan 2, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No se... you should get six peaks in the aromatic region, one for the carboxyl and two for the ethyl ester plus those of the solvent(s). Did you lose lock during the acquisition? How concentrated was your sample? Was the proton decoupler on during acquisition? How many acquisitions in your spectra? What does the S/N look like? Does the FID look normal or is it noisy?

Lots to think about...

Are you sure that you aren't looking at a bad proton spectrum?

5. Jan 4, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Never mind my previous post. I misunderstood what you were asking... I thought you only saw 2 peaks in your spectrum. Yes, you should see three carbons that lack NOE enhancement and appear smaller. Sometimes the carbonyl carbon is a little harder to see but you should see it (well-removed from the aromatic region).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?