How Much Force Is Needed to Retrieve a Sunken Barge on a Rocky Slope?

• Thread starter Gunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, to pull a sunken barge made of steel that is 160' long, 69' wide, and 1500 tons, from a 30 degree incline rocky bottom in Guatemala, you will need at least 750 tons of force. However, when factoring in resistance, it is recommended to use at least 900 tons of force to safely remove the barge using big winches and multiple parts.
Gunter
i am in guatemala and i have a barge that sank at the shore line, and i need to pull it out and cut it up
it is made of steel 160' long 69' wide and 1500 tons
it sank on a 30 degree incline rocky bottom

how many tons of pull do i need??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this would really come down to the friction on the bottom.

If the bottom of the boat is smooth and not snagged on anything then it should be simply:

mgCos(30) = force required to move boat ignoring friction

Where m is mass of boat (not weight) and g is gravity.

If you know how easily the boat slides over that surface then you can add an appropriate approximate figure for that and then you need to allow for resistance through the water (again a reasonable amount will suffice).

Assuming it's metric tonnes, 1500 is 1,500,000kg.

That gives you:

1.5E6 * 9.8 * Cos(30) for the minimum required force, plus water and sliding resistance approximations.

Which is ~12.74E6 Newtons of force required plus water and sliding resistance approximations.

At lest that's a quick calculation if I've approached this right.

now how do i calculate that to tons of pull,
i don't want to move it fast,
i yost want to pull it with some big winches and lots of parts

Sorry, messed up the calculation, here's the correction:

Because of the incline you're going to need at least 750 tons to get it out.

When you factor in resistance, you're probably looking at a value of at least 800+ tons.

I'd probably say at least 900 tons to be safe.

To calculate the force needed to pull the barge out and cut it up, we can use the formula Force = Mass x Acceleration. In this case, the mass of the barge is given as 1500 tons. However, the acceleration will depend on the angle of the incline and the resistance of the rocky bottom. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer or marine salvage expert to accurately determine the force required for this specific situation. They will be able to consider factors such as the type of equipment and pulling method to be used, as well as the condition of the barge and the surrounding environment. Safety precautions should also be taken into account to ensure the successful and safe removal of the barge.

1. What is force and how is it calculated?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).

2. How do I calculate force if I only know the mass and acceleration?

If you only know the mass and acceleration of an object, you can use the formula F=ma to calculate the force. Simply multiply the mass (in kilograms) by the acceleration (in meters per second squared) to get the force (in Newtons).

3. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. Negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. For example, if you push an object to the left with a force of -10N, the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion to the right.

4. How does the direction of force affect its calculation?

The direction of force is taken into account when calculating the net force on an object. If multiple forces are acting on the object in different directions, the net force is calculated by finding the vector sum of all the forces. This takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

5. What other factors can affect the calculation of force?

Besides mass and acceleration, other factors that can affect the calculation of force include friction, air resistance, and gravity. These forces can either add to or subtract from the total force acting on an object, and must be taken into account in the calculation of net force.