Question on Chebyshev polynomials?

In summary, Chebyshev polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials with various applications in mathematics and physics. They are defined recursively and named after Pafnuty Chebyshev. The formula for Chebyshev polynomials is T<sub>n</sub>(x) = cos(narccos(x)) or T<sub>n</sub>(x) = cos(nθ). They have properties such as orthogonality, recursion, and the Chebyshev differential equation. In numerical analysis, they are used for polynomial interpolation, integration, and root-finding algorithms. They also have applications in approximation theory, signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics.
mathnoob
Question
A Chebyshev polynomial is Tn(x) = cos(arccos^(-1)(x))

My questions are:

1. what are the domain(s) and range(s) of this function?

2. Give equivalent polynomial definitions for Tn(x) when n = 0; 1; 2; 3. That
is: show that the definition for Tn above really is a polynomial.

3. Compute integral(-1 to 1) Tn(x)dx

4. Compute integral (-1 to 1) [Tn(x)Tm(x) / sqrt(1-x^2)] dx, when
a.) n = m = 0
b.) n = m =/= 0
c.) n =/= m

My attempt at a solution

1. I graphed it on a graphing calculator and I know for sure that both its domain and range = [-1,1]. I'm guessing this is because the domain and range of cos(x) = [-1,1]?

2. I found an equation online that T(n+1)(x) = (2x)Tn(x) - T(n-1)(x) when n >= 1. Hence:
T(o)x = 1
T(1)x = x
T(2)x = 2x^2-1
T(3)x = 4x^3-3x
Would this be enough to prove that Tn(x) is a polynomial?

Lastly, for #3 and #4, How are you supposed to find the integral when there are two variables (n and x)? I got this question for my Calculus II class (mostly integration). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. You are correct, the domain and range of Tn(x) are both [-1,1] because the inverse cosine function has a domain and range of [0,π] and the cosine function has a domain and range of [-1,1].

2. Your method of finding equivalent polynomial definitions for Tn(x) is correct. Another way to prove that Tn(x) is a polynomial is by using the definition of Chebyshev polynomials, which states that Tn(x) = cos(n arccos(x)). Using this definition, we can see that Tn(x) is a polynomial because it is a composition of polynomials (arccos(x) and cos(x)).

3. The integral of Tn(x) from -1 to 1 can be found by using the substitution u = cos(x). This will give us the integral of Tn(u) from -1 to 1, which is simply the area under the curve of Tn(u) from -1 to 1. This can be found by using the formula for the area under a curve, which is (b-a)f(x)dx, where b and a are the bounds of integration and f(x) is the function. So, substituting back in for u, we get the integral of Tn(u) from -1 to 1 = (1-(-1))Tn(u)du = 2Tn(u)du.

4. To compute the integral of Tn(x)Tm(x)/sqrt(1-x^2), we can use the same substitution as before (u = cos(x)). This will give us the integral of Tn(u)Tm(u)/sqrt(1-u^2) from -1 to 1. For part a, when n = m = 0, the integral becomes 2/(sqrt(1-u^2))du, which can be solved using a trigonometric substitution. For parts b and c, the integral cannot be solved without knowing the specific values of n and m. However, we can use the orthogonality property of Chebyshev polynomials to simplify the integral. This property states that the integral of Tn(x)Tm(x)/sqrt(1-x^2) from -1 to 1 is equal to 0 if n and m are not equal, and is equal to π/2 if n = m. This property

1. What are Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are defined recursively and have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are named after Pafnuty Chebyshev, a Russian mathematician.

2. What is the formula for Chebyshev polynomials?

The formula for Chebyshev polynomials is Tn(x) = cos(narccos(x)), where n is the degree of the polynomial and x is the variable. Another common form is Tn(x) = cos(nθ), where θ is the angle between the x-axis and a point (x, Tn(x)) on the unit circle.

3. What are the properties of Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials have several important properties, including orthogonality (i.e. Tm(x)Tn(x)dx = 0 for m ≠ n), recursion (i.e. Tn+1(x) = 2xTn(x) - Tn-1(x)), and the Chebyshev differential equation (i.e. (1 - x2)y'' - xy' + n2y = 0).

4. How are Chebyshev polynomials used in numerical analysis?

Chebyshev polynomials are used in numerical analysis for polynomial interpolation, as they provide a way to approximate a function with a polynomial of a certain degree. They are also used in numerical integration and root-finding algorithms.

5. What are the applications of Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in approximation theory, signal processing, and control systems. They also have applications in quantum mechanics, where they are used to solve the Schrödinger equation for certain problems.