Understanding Conditional PDFs: Exploring the Relationship between x1 and x2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about conditional probability density functions. It is shown that the conditional PDF of x2 given x1 and the conditional PDF of x1 given x2 are both expressed as f(x2|x1)=f(x1|x2)=1/√(2π)exp[(x1-x2)^2/2], but it is noted that f(x1) and f(x2) are not identical, leading to f(x1)f(x2|x1)≠f(x2)f(x1|x2). The conversation then delves into a specific model and explains that the distribution of x1 given x2 is a consequence of both the distribution of a and the a priori distribution of x
d9dd9dd9d
Hi, all. I happened to think about a problem about conditional PDF:
[itex]x_2=x_1+a, x_1 \approx \mathcal{N}(0,1), a \approx \mathcal{N}(0,1)[/itex]
so the conditional PDF of [itex]f(x_2|x_1), f(x_1|x_2)[/itex] would both be
[itex]f(x_2|x_1)=f(x_1|x_2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\exp{(-\frac{(x_1-x_2)^2}{2})}[/itex]
And it is clear that [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)[/itex] are not identical, so
[itex]f(x_1)f(x_2|x_1) \neq f(x_2)f(x_1|x_2)[/itex]

How does this occur?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think P(x1|x2) is more subtle than that. Consider a simpler model. X1 and A are dice rolls. The distribution of x2 = x1+a given x1=3 is uniform 4 to 9. The distribution of X1 given X2 = 9 is uniform 3 to 6, not uniform 3 to 8. I.e. the distribution of X1 given X2 is a consequence of both the distribution of A and the a priori distribution of X1.

haruspex said:
I think P(x1|x2) is more subtle than that. Consider a simpler model. X1 and A are dice rolls. The distribution of x2 = x1+a given x1=3 is uniform 4 to 9. The distribution of X1 given X2 = 9 is uniform 3 to 6, not uniform 3 to 8. I.e. the distribution of X1 given X2 is a consequence of both the distribution of A and the a priori distribution of X1.

Dear haruspex, I really appreciate your reply.
Your tolling rice model is really helpful, now I know that [itex]f(x_1|x_2)=\frac{f(x_1)f(x_2|x_1)}{f(x_2)}[/itex]. since we already know the "a priori":[itex]f(x_1)[/itex]. And this time [itex]f(x_2|x_1)f(x_1)==f(x_1|x_2)f(x_2)[/itex] for sure.

Thanks again.

d9dd9dd9d said:
Hi, all. I happened to think about a problem about conditional PDF:
[itex]x_2=x_1+a, x_1 \approx \mathcal{N}(0,1), a \approx \mathcal{N}(0,1)[/itex]
so the conditional PDF of [itex]f(x_2|x_1), f(x_1|x_2)[/itex] would both be
[itex]f(x_2|x_1)=f(x_1|x_2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\exp{(-\frac{(x_1-x_2)^2}{2})}[/itex]
And it is clear that [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)[/itex] are not identical, so
[itex]f(x_1)f(x_2|x_1) \neq f(x_2)f(x_1|x_2)[/itex]

How does this occur?

Thanks in advance.

Hi d9,

Actually [itex]f(x_2|x_1)≠f(x_1|x_2)[/itex], they just happen to have the same expression, that's why your confusion.

viraltux said:
Hi d9,

Actually [itex]f(x_2|x_1)≠f(x_1|x_2)[/itex], they just happen to have the same expression, that's why your confusion.

Dear viraltux,
In fact, [itex]f(x_2|x_1) and f(x_1|x_2)[/itex] do not have the same expression, to be more specific,
[itex]\begin{array}{l}
f({x_2}|{x_1}) = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\exp \left( { - \frac{{{{({x_2} - {x_1})}^2}}}{2}} \right),\\
f({x_1}|{x_2}) = \frac{2}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\exp \left( { - \frac{{{{({x_2} - {x_1})}^2}}}{2} - \frac{{x_1^2}}{2} + \frac{{x_2^2}}{4}} \right).
\end{array}[/itex]
Anyway, thanks for your reply.

d9dd9dd9d said:
Dear viraltux,
In fact, [itex]f(x_2|x_1) and f(x_1|x_2)[/itex] do not have the same expression, to be more specific,

More even so then :smile:

1. What is a conditional PDF?

A conditional probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of an outcome or event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is used to model situations where the occurrence of one event affects the probability of another event happening.

2. How is a conditional PDF different from a regular PDF?

A regular PDF describes the probability of a single event occurring, while a conditional PDF takes into account the occurrence of another event. This means that the conditional PDF will change depending on the value of the other event, while a regular PDF remains constant.

3. What is the formula for calculating a conditional PDF?

The formula for a conditional PDF is P(A|B) = P(A ∩ B)/P(B), where P(A|B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has occurred, P(A ∩ B) represents the joint probability of events A and B occurring together, and P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring.

4. How is a conditional PDF used in statistics and data analysis?

Conditional PDFs are commonly used in statistics and data analysis to model and analyze relationships between variables. They can be used in regression analysis, Bayesian statistics, and other techniques to understand how one variable affects the probability of another variable.

5. Can a conditional PDF be used for multiple events?

Yes, a conditional PDF can be used for multiple events. In this case, the formula becomes P(A|B,C) = P(A ∩ B ∩ C)/P(B,C), where P(A|B,C) represents the probability of event A occurring given that events B and C have occurred, P(A ∩ B ∩ C) represents the joint probability of events A, B, and C occurring together, and P(B,C) represents the joint probability of events B and C occurring together.