Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Conditional PDF

1. Jun 21, 2012 #1
    Hi, all. I happened to think about a problem about conditional PDF:
    [itex]x_2=x_1+a, x_1 \approx \mathcal{N}(0,1), a \approx \mathcal{N}(0,1)[/itex]
    so the conditional PDF of [itex]f(x_2|x_1), f(x_1|x_2)[/itex] would both be
    [itex]f(x_2|x_1)=f(x_1|x_2)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\exp{(-\frac{(x_1-x_2)^2}{2})}[/itex]
    And it is clear that [itex]f(x_1)[/itex] and [itex]f(x_2)[/itex] are not identical, so
    [itex]f(x_1)f(x_2|x_1) \neq f(x_2)f(x_1|x_2)[/itex]

How does this occur?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think P(x1|x2) is more subtle than that. Consider a simpler model. X1 and A are dice rolls. The distribution of x2 = x1+a given x1=3 is uniform 4 to 9. The distribution of X1 given X2 = 9 is uniform 3 to 6, not uniform 3 to 8. I.e. the distribution of X1 given X2 is a consequence of both the distribution of A and the a priori distribution of X1.

4. Jun 22, 2012 #3
    Dear haruspex, I really appreciate your reply.
    Your tolling rice model is really helpful, now I know that [itex]f(x_1|x_2)=\frac{f(x_1)f(x_2|x_1)}{f(x_2)}[/itex]. since we already know the "a priori":[itex]f(x_1)[/itex]. And this time [itex]f(x_2|x_1)f(x_1)==f(x_1|x_2)f(x_2)[/itex] for sure.

Thanks again.

5. Jun 22, 2012 #4
    Hi d9,

Actually [itex]f(x_2|x_1)≠f(x_1|x_2)[/itex], they just happen to have the same expression, that's why your confusion.

6. Jun 22, 2012 #5
    Dear viraltux,
    In fact, [itex]f(x_2|x_1) and f(x_1|x_2)[/itex] do not have the same expression, to be more specific,
    [itex]\begin{array}{l}
    f({x_2}|{x_1}) = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\exp \left( { - \frac{{{{({x_2} - {x_1})}^2}}}{2}} \right),\\
    f({x_1}|{x_2}) = \frac{2}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\exp \left( { - \frac{{{{({x_2} - {x_1})}^2}}}{2} - \frac{{x_1^2}}{2} + \frac{{x_2^2}}{4}} \right).
    \end{array}[/itex]
    Anyway, thanks for your reply.

7. Jun 22, 2012 #6
    More even so then :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook