Copyright Policy Inquiry: Sharing Journal Articles via Email and Forums

• Thread starter Boston_Guy
  • Start date
In summary, the forum rules state that copyright infringement is illegal and copying articles in their entirety is not allowed. However, small sections or links to the article are acceptable as long as credit is given to the author. It is also against the rules to offer to send unauthorized copies through the forum or to advertise their presence on another site. It is recommended to check with the library or consult a moderator for clarification on specific actions.
Boston_Guy
I wanted to inquire into the forums policy on sending a copy of a journal article to someone else. I take it that I can, say, post the abstract to an article or post a quote from an article. But what about when I go to the library, xerox a journal article, come home and scan it into a PDF file? Can I then e-mail it to somene who has an interest in the subject matter? Is that forbidden by copyright law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me like you are mixing two things here - first you ask about the forum policy, then you ask about a copyright law. We can't do much about what you do outside of the forum, we can enforce only that you follow forum rules on this site - so as long as your quotes are not too long and you reference the original source, that's OK with us. I am not sure about details when you send the copy to someone else. I got copies of some papers this way from people I know, so I guess they treated it as a "fair use". Perhaps ask in the library?

Borek said:
Seems to me like you are mixing two things here - first you ask about the forum policy, then you ask about a copyright law.
I appologize if I was being unclear. My objective is to learn how to follow the forum rules. In that respect I read the forum rules which are posted here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

The forum rule that I have in mind is this
Copyright Violations: Copyright infringement is illegal. Physics Forums will adhere to the law to the best of its ability. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material please give credit to the author in your post.
I want to understand how it applies to my actions on this discussion board. For example: someone asked a question about the equivalence principle. I long time ago I was in the library and copied an article from the American Journal of Physics on this very topic. I posted the abstract since I thought the information in the abstract was useful. My next step was to ask the OP if he would like me to e-mail him the article. I wanted to dicuss this with the moderators first to make sure that me offering to do that would be a violation of forum policy. For example; since I'm posting a lot more online nowadays since I'm pretty much homebound I want to make dead sure that I'm following the forum rules to the letter. When I'm unsure I thought I'd ask. In retrospect I think that my quetion mayhave been better sent to a moderator using the PM system.

Borek said:
We can't do much about what you do outside of the forum, we can enforce only that you follow forum rules on this site - so as long as your quotes are not too long and you reference the original source, that's OK with us. I am not sure about details when you send the copy to someone else. I got copies of some papers this way from people I know, so I guess they treated it as a "fair use". Perhaps ask in the library?
Is it against the rules to ask a person in open forum if they'd like me to e-mail them the article? I as thinking of creating a website to faccilitate my online discussions. One thing I could do is to upload an article to my website and then post a link to the article. Would if violate the forum rules to post a link to the article? Thanks.

Boston_Guy said:
Is it against the rules to ask a person in open forum if they'd like me to e-mail them the article? I as thinking of creating a website to faccilitate my online discussions. One thing I could do is to upload an article to my website and then post a link to the article. Would if violate the forum rules to post a link to the article? Thanks.

It is against the forum rules to use the forum's facilities (posting or PM) to offer to send unauthorized copies via e-mail, or to advertise their presence on some other site.

Thank you for your inquiry about the policy on sharing journal articles via email and forums. I understand the importance of access to scholarly articles in furthering research and knowledge in our fields. However, it is important to adhere to copyright laws and respect the intellectual property of authors and publishers.

In most cases, sharing the abstract or a quote from an article is permissible under fair use guidelines. However, photocopying or scanning a full journal article and sending it to someone else may be considered copyright infringement without proper permission from the copyright holder.

Many publishers have specific policies in place for sharing articles, such as providing a link to the article or obtaining a license for distribution. It is important to check the copyright policies of the specific journal and publisher before sharing any articles.

Alternatively, there are open access journals and repositories that allow for free distribution of articles, making it easier to share without infringing on copyright laws. Additionally, many academic institutions have agreements with publishers that allow for limited sharing of articles within their community.

In summary, while sharing knowledge and information is important, it is crucial to do so in a legal and ethical manner. I recommend researching the copyright policies of the specific journal and publisher before sharing any articles, or utilizing open access resources for easier and legal sharing. Thank you for considering the implications of copyright in your inquiry.

1. What is the purpose of a copyright policy for sharing journal articles?

A copyright policy for sharing journal articles helps to protect the intellectual property rights of the authors and publishers of the articles. It outlines the legal guidelines and restrictions for the sharing and distribution of these articles, ensuring that the proper permissions are obtained and that the authors receive credit for their work.

2. Can I share a journal article via email or on a forum without permission?

No, it is not recommended to share a journal article via email or on a forum without obtaining permission from the copyright holder. This could potentially violate copyright laws and lead to legal consequences. It is important to follow the guidelines outlined in the copyright policy of the journal or publisher.

3. Are there any exceptions to the copyright policy for sharing journal articles?

Yes, there are certain exceptions to the copyright policy for sharing journal articles, such as fair use for educational or research purposes. However, it is important to carefully consider and follow the guidelines outlined in the policy to determine if your use of the article falls under these exceptions.

4. What should I do if I want to share a journal article but cannot find the copyright policy?

If you cannot find the copyright policy for a specific journal or article, it is best to contact the publisher directly for clarification. They will be able to provide you with the necessary information and permissions for sharing the article.

5. Can I make changes to a journal article before sharing it?

No, it is not recommended to make any changes to a journal article before sharing it without the permission of the copyright holder. This could potentially alter the original work and violate the copyright policy. It is best to share the article in its original form and give proper credit to the author.