Constructing Onto & Continuous Function from D^{2n} to \mathbb{C}P^n

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary: For the 2 sphere - CP1 - just map the boundary of the disk to the south pole. Generalize this.I don't understand how does this maps D^2n onto CP^n?I mean CP^n is homeomorphic to a sphere of S^{2n+1}, so if I map S^2n to a point at the south pole of S^2n, I don't see how does this mapping cover all of S^{2n+1} ~ CP^n?What's a "sphere of S^{2n+1}"? Anyway, CP^n is definitely not a sphere for n>1. It is obtained from quotienting S^{2n+1}
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I am asked to construct an onto and continuous function from [tex]D^{2n}[/tex] onto [tex]\mathbb{C}P^n[/tex] such that it's one- to -one on the interior of [tex]D^{2n}[/tex].

I was thinking of sending the line that joins two antipodal points on the boundary of this ball, is this right, or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I am asked to construct an onto and continuous function from [tex]D^{2n}[/tex] onto [tex]\mathbb{C}P^n[/tex] such that it's one- to -one on the interior of [tex]D^{2n}[/tex].

I was thinking of sending the line that joins two antipodal points on the boundary of this ball, is this right, or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks.

For the 2 sphere - CP1 - just map the boundary of the disk to the south pole. Generalize this.

I don't understand how does this maps D^2n onto CP^n?

I mean CP^n is homeomorphic to a sphere of S^{2n+1}, so if I map S^2n to a point at the south pole of S^2n, I don't see how does this mapping cover all of S^{2n+1} ~ CP^n?

What's a "sphere of S^{2n+1}"? Anyway, CP^n is definitely not a sphere for n>1. It is obtained from quotienting S^{2n+1} (seen as sitting in C^{n+1}) by the obvious circle action (the circle seen as sitting in C). In particular, there is a natural surjective map pr:S^{2n+1}-->CP^n.

In particular, CP^0 = {pt} and CP^1=S^2. Why? Because there is a homeomorphism between the open set U:={[z0:z1]| z0 not equal to 0} and C obtained by sending [z0:z1] to z1/z0. And what is the complement of U in CP^1? Just 1 point! (the point [0:1]) Thus, CP^1 = C^1 u CP^0. Great, so we see how to build our map D²-->CP^1 from this decomposition: just map int(D²) to C^1 homeomorphically in the obvious way, and map ∂D²=S^1 surjectively onto CP^0 according to the god-given quotient map pr:S^{0n+1}-->CP^0. Now generalize this!

1. What is the purpose of constructing a continuous function from D^{2n} to \mathbb{C}P^n?

The purpose of constructing a continuous function from D^{2n} to \mathbb{C}P^n is to establish a mathematical relationship between two complex spaces. This function helps us understand the topological properties of D^{2n} and \mathbb{C}P^n and how they are related to each other.

2. How is the function constructed?

The function is constructed by first defining a map from D^{2n} to \mathbb{C}P^n, which is a continuous function from D^{2n} to the quotient space of \mathbb{C}^{n+1} \ {0} by the equivalence relation x \sim \lambda x, where x \in \mathbb{C}^{n+1} and \lambda \in \mathbb{C}. This map is then extended to a continuous function from the closure of D^{2n} to \mathbb{C}P^n by assigning values to points on the boundary of D^{2n}.

3. What are some properties of this function?

This function is continuous, meaning that small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output. It also preserves the topological properties of D^{2n} and \mathbb{C}P^n, such as connectedness and compactness. Additionally, it is bijective, meaning that each point in D^{2n} corresponds to a unique point in \mathbb{C}P^n and vice versa.

4. How is this function useful in mathematics?

This function is useful in various mathematical fields, such as topology, algebraic geometry, and complex analysis. It helps us understand the relationship between two complex spaces and how they can be transformed into each other. Additionally, it can be used to prove theorems and solve problems related to the topological properties of D^{2n} and \mathbb{C}P^n.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this function?

While this function may not have direct real-life applications, it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has various applications in other fields, such as physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to study the behavior of complex systems and analyze data in high-dimensional spaces.