Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on de Broglie waves

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    What is the amplitude of the wave produced by an object of resting mass m0 when it is going a velocity v? I haven't come across any information on the amplitude of de Broglie waves, and thus I assume that the amplitude of the wave is proportional to the Lorentz factor, m0/sqrt(1+v^2/c^2). Is this correct?

Thanks for your input

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

rbj

i don't think you can calculate the amplitude in that case.

normally, i thought in Quantum Mechanics, one solves Shrodingers Equation for [itex]\Psi(t, x, y, z)[/itex] resulting in a function (or set of functions) for which there remains an undetermined coefficient multiplying the whole thing. and for each value of t, one integrates [itex]|\Psi(t, x, y, z)|^2[/itex] over all x, y, and z, then sets the scaling constant to whatever it has to be so that that integral is 1 (meaning that the particle must exist somewhere for every point in time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?