1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on definite integral

1. Jul 24, 2013 #1
    I want to proof
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^0 e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta=\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]
    (1) Let ##\theta=-\theta\;\Rightarrow\; d\theta=-d\theta,\;\cos(-\theta)=\cos\theta,\;\cos[m(-\theta)]=\cos(m\theta)##
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^0 e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta=-\int_{\pi}^0 e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta=\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

BUT

(2) Let ##\theta=\pi+\theta\;\Rightarrow\; d\theta=d\theta,\;\cos(\pi+\theta)=-\cos\theta##
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^0 e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta=\int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\pi+m\theta) d\theta[/tex]
    [tex]\cos(m\pi+m\theta)=\cos(m\pi)\cos(m\theta)-\sin(m\pi)\sin(m\theta)=(-1)^m \cos(m\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\;\int_{-\pi}^0 e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta=\int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}(-1)^m \cos(m\theta) d\theta [/tex]

Obviously the two ways give different result. What did I do wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Both of your calculations are correct. Where do you see a contradiction?

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3
    But
    [tex]\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta\neq \int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}(-1)^m \cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

Thanks for the reply.

5. Jul 24, 2013 #4
    Anyone please, I don't think I did anything wrong.

6. Jul 24, 2013 #5
    Could you give a counterexample for me? I'm feeling tired and lazy right now, but both your derivations, at a glance, look okay to me.

7. Jul 24, 2013 #6
    I don't have counter example, I am confused enough already.

This identity is definitely true given but many books:
    [tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{jz\cos u}\cos(m\theta)d\theta=\frac{j^{-m}}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]
    [tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{jz\cos u}\cos(m\theta)d\theta=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta+\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{0} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

The original question is regarding the second integral.

Thanks

8. Jul 24, 2013 #7
    Can you give an ##m## such that the two integrals are not equal? Checking the trivial case ##m=0##, we get that the two integrals are equal. You say that the two ways "obviously" give a different result, but I'm pretty sure the two integrals are equal. I want to know why you think they wouldn't be.

9. Jul 24, 2013 #8
    But for m=1

[tex] \int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}(-1) \cos(\theta) d\theta=-\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}} \cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(\theta) d\theta\neq -\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}} \cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex]

for m=3

[tex] \int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}(-1) \cos(3\theta) d\theta=-\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}} \cos(3\theta) d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(3\theta) d\theta\neq -\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}} \cos(3\theta) d\theta[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  10. Jul 24, 2013 #9
    This is not true. For ##m=1##, they are both equal to ##j\pi J_1(z)##, where ##J_1## is a Bessel function of the first kind. The integrals are also equal for ##m=3##.

11. Jul 24, 2013 #10
    Please explain a little more, I don't get what you mean. All I am looking is that part of the equation is not equal and I don't see a reason.

The important thing is not the m. It's the ##\;e^{jx\cos\theta}\;## can never equal to ##\;e^{-jx\cos\theta}\;## except ##\;\theta=\pi/2##

12. Jul 24, 2013 #11
    You're just looking at the integrands. You CAN'T do that. Different integrands can have the same definite integrals.

13. Jul 24, 2013 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let's take a look at the graphs. Here is the graph for the real part for ##z=3## and ##m=3##:

attachment.php?attachmentid=60475&stc=1&d=1374702373.png

As you see, the graphs won't be equal, but the integrals will be. I hope this reassures you that your result is correct.

Attached Files:

14. Jul 24, 2013 #13
    Sorry I still don't get this.
    It is given:
    [tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{jz\cos u}\cos(m\theta)d\theta=\frac{j^{-m}}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

From that we have:
    [tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{jz\cos u}\cos(m\theta)d\theta=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta+\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{0} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

This mean it has to be:
    [tex]\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta=\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{0} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

From my original post I use two different change of variables and get two different result, and:
    [tex]\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta\neq \frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}}(-1)^m \cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

Or
    [tex]J_m(z)=\frac{j^{-m}}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta\neq\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta+\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}}(-1)^m\cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

This is regardless of whether it's a Bessel function or not.

I am confused.

Thanks

15. Jul 24, 2013 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you think the integrals are not equal? Doesn't my graph show you that they were equal (for a special case, ok)?

Wait, didn't you mean:
    [tex]\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta\neq \frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}(-1)^m \cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]
    As in your orginal post?

16. Jul 24, 2013 #15
    Yes, I am trying to derive the equation:
    AND I can't get there if I cannot prove
    [tex]\frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta\neq \frac{j^{-m}}{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi} e^{-jz\cos \theta}(-1)^m \cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]

My original post is not even a Bessel function question. It's a change of variable problem.....that I use two different change of variable and get two different answer that I cannot prove they are equal.

Thanks for your help.

17. Jul 24, 2013 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think your post in your OP actually provides a good proof of the formula.

18. Jul 24, 2013 #17
    Can you explain more? I am more confused now. How come I have two ways and get two different result and I cannot prove it's the same. This is not even issue with Bessel function. Just a change of variable problem.

Thanks for your help.

19. Jul 24, 2013 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you started from one integral. You did two different substitutions (namely ##\theta\rightarrow - \theta## and ##\theta \rightarrow \pi + \theta##) and you obtained two different integrals equal to the first integral. So these two integrals must equal.

20. Jul 24, 2013 #19
    That's how it work? Isn't it pushing it? How do you justify the two equations in my OP are equal? Even you use numerical method, it's not going to be equal. I thought math has to have reason and valid justification. What I showed is very basic change of variables only!!!

Forget that it's part of the Bessel function. How do you justify to beginning math students that this basic change of variables give you the same solution......as it absolutely does not. Unless you are going to amend that there are exception to the change of variables when comes to some difficult functions.

No matter how you cut it
    From my original post I use two different change of variables and get two different result, and:
    [tex]\int_0^{\pi}e^{jz\cos \theta}\cos(m\theta) d\theta\neq\int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}}(-1)^m \cos(m\theta) d\theta[/tex]
    As you cannot make:
    [tex]e^{jz\cos \theta}\neq \frac{1}{e^{jz\cos \theta}}[/tex]
    For all z and ##\theta##.

I don't mean to challenge you or others, it just does not make sense.

Thanks

21. Jul 24, 2013 #20
    So, by your logic, ##\displaystyle \int\limits_{[0,2\pi]}\cos{x}\, dx = \int\limits_{[0,2\pi]}\sin{x}\, dx## is not true because ##\sin{x}\neq\cos{x}##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted